Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve recently moved into a property which currently has a combi boiler, two bathrooms, one power shower and one electric shower. I’m wanting to change this out for an unvented system with two showers operating from the cylinder. Both showers would run at 20 LPM. My current water supply is 15MM which is located at the back of the property. I don’t want the stress or cost of rerouting 25MM into the property. Here is my query as follows: I currently have 20 LPM and an unbelievable 8 BAR pressure I am considering putting either an accumulator or a pumped accumulator into the loft and then feeding the water supply thereafter. However, I don’t know if I require an accumulator with that amount of pressure or anywhere that would tell me what size accumulator I would require with a 300
litre unvented cylinder. Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

I’d recommend you get a G3 qualified engineer in to design it for you as you will need one to install the cylinder anyway

And another biggie is.... if you go down the route of an accumulator and cylinder( maybe in the loft) is the weight. I’d hazard a guess the accumulator will be nigh on the size of the cylinder. So a rough guesstimate of around 700kg of weight in the loft, so you’ll have to look at a structural engineer to design a structure/ added joists to accommodate the weight

I do a lot of work with accumulators in the Thames Water Area. They are excellent when the incoming pressure is below 2 bar. They are unsuited, for a number of reasons, to be located in the loft space.

The starting price, installed, is well over £2k for the simplest of systems.

If you have a working pressure of 8 bar on a 15mm incomer, in my view start to spend your money upgrading to a 22mm from the mains to the Combi.

Therafter, if required look at further modifications

I’ve recently moved into a property which currently has a combi boiler, two bathrooms, one power shower and one electric shower. I’m wanting to change this out for an unvented system with two showers operating from the cylinder. Both showers would run at 20 LPM. My current water supply is 15MM which is located at the back of the property. I don’t want the stress or cost of rerouting 25MM into the property. Here is my query as follows: I currently have 20 LPM and an unbelievable 8 BAR pressure I am considering putting either an accumulator or a pumped accumulator into the loft and then feeding the water supply thereafter. However, I don’t know if I require an accumulator with that amount of pressure or anywhere that would tell me what size accumulator I would require with a 300
litre unvented cylinder. Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

By far & away your best option is the upgrade. Simpler, cheaper no main or running costs. No brainer.

Just make sure the meter installed is NOT a 1/2" one as that will make the upgrade virtually worthless.

Time for a good G3 installer...

Apologies for delay but I’d thought I’d get back to you with some decisive figures as yes you’re right the outside tap does have a check valve on. I took the static pressure from the washing machine outlet at 8 bar with one tap open it drops to 7.5 bar, two taps open 4 bar and three taps open 2 bar. Flow rate added through each outlet is 35 LPM. I’m thinking I now don’t need an accumulator and just upgrading 22mm pipe from the stopcock to the cylinder. Would this work? Thanks

That does not look like a set of results fed by a 15mm incomer.

Generally you want to limit the velocity of water travelling through a 15mm pipe to 2m /second - above that the noise of the water travelling through the pipe will get progressively louder. A 35 litre /minute (lpm) flow from a 15mm service would mean that the water has a velocity of about 4m/ second.

It may well be the case that with a pressure differential of 6 to 7 bar you are indeed getting 35 lpm from a 15mm supply, but that is a more complex calculation for a Saturday morning.

However, at the flow rates you are citing I would expect the noise from the flow of water through the 15mm incomer to be audible and annoying.

I suggest you try to undertake a detailed study of all the pipe sizes, valves et al from your incoming point (water meter - including the bore of the meter) to the first offtake to establish the correct position of exactly what is already installed.

My belief is that your incoming is a probably a 22mm supply - possibly with a short 15mm restriction, that could be removed

Once you have determined the above, then you can look at the options available to achieve what you are seeking.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
That does not look like a set of results fed by a 15mm incomer.

Generally you want to limit the velocity of water travelling through a 15mm pipe to 2m /second - above that the noise of the water travelling through the pipe will get progressively louder. A 35 litre /minute (lpm) flow from a 15mm service would mean that the water has a velocity of about 4m/ second.

It may well be the case that with a pressure differential of 6 to 7 bar you are indeed getting 35 lpm from a 15mm supply, but that is a more complex calculation for a Saturday morning.

However, at the flow rates you are citing I would expect the noise from the flow of water through the 15mm incomer to be audible and annoying.

I suggest you try to undertake a detailed study of all the pipe sizes, valves et al from your incoming point (water meter - including the bore of the meter) to the first offtake to establish the correct position of exactly what is already installed.

My belief is that your incoming is a probably a 22mm supply - possibly with a short 15mm restriction, that could be removed

Once you have determined the above, then you can look at the options available to achieve what you are seeking.

I hope this helps
Great advice. ;)

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have an OSO Direct 210 hit water cylinder installed in my home, with 2 switches (on/off; and boost). The boiler is for hot water only (rads are electric). In the 5 years that I’ve lived at this property, I’ve never once turned the boiler off; however, with soaring energy prices, I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I'm looking to install an unvented cylinder in my property. I initially hired a plumber who expressed interest in the job, but later cancelled, citing "building regulations" as the reason, specifically regarding the discharge pipe and its location. Subsequently, I reached out to my second...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock