Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder pressure issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I am having issues with an unvented water cylinder and just wanted to double check something.

About a week ago I noticed that when the system was turned on there was a dripping coming from the prv and pressure rose to around 4.5 bar. As soon as a toilet was flushed or tap was run the pressure when back down and the dripping stopped.

Plumber has been round and fitted a new cold water prv with a pressure gauge set to 3 bar and pumped up the expansion vessel. I did notice tonight pressure had gone up to 3.5 bar even though the heater hadn’t been switched on (I only switch it on for an hour in the morning).

This is the first time I’ve had an water cylinder (normally had gas etc) however this one has cost me £800 so far as it’s had multiple things gone wrong and literally apart from the tank itself everything else has been replaced.

I just wanted to ask, is it normal for the pressure to rise that much even when the tank isn’t turned on?

The pressure should be 3 - 3.5 bar at all times the combination valve contains a pressure reducer which reduces your supply to 3 bar this may rise slightly due to thermal expansion but not much more, the expansion vessel should be set slightly lower than 3 bar 2.8 ish to allow for absorbing thermal expansion. Monitor the pressure rise over the next few days . Kop

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

This was the pressure this morning, the system hadn’t been used or switched on all night.

I just have a gut feeling it’s the expansion vessel but would that cause the pressure to rise even if the cylinder isn’t switched on?

ED1648F4-C8DA-44D0-A2C8-AE952E5C2609.jpeg
Thanks for the response,

It won't be your expansion vessel, more than likely the PRV (pressure reducing valve) is passing, these should be "drop tight" can you take a few details off the one fitted?.

Reply to Unvented cylinder pressure issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock