Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder location in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Dan_boiler

Hi all,

I have a fairly large property (6 bed 4 storey victorian) and when we moved in the pre-historic boiler broke down and it resided in its own boiler room attached to the kitchen. It broke down in November 19 and had a nightmare getting anyone to fix it but they said it was unrepairable as it was totally clogged. Had someone replace the whole thing but the one downside is the cylinder was placed in the boiler room (quite far from the bathrooms). This means it takes a while to get hot water into the bathrooms and kitchen (due to old pipes from upstairs).

Would you

1. Move cylinder closer to the bathrooms?
2. Add a secondary return? This I gather would involve using copper from the location where it is to the bathroom area and putting a circ pump in.

Of the two I can do the first fix myself in plastic to the actual location where the cylinder could be including the 2.5mm wire for extending the backup heating for the cylinder.

Setup is a worcester 40kg regular boiler, 250l worcester unvented on Nest.

In hindsight I would have placed the cylinder in a loo room closer to the bathroom but there was a lot going wrong with the house so wasn't my priority and more to get heating working with it being minus temp outside.

Thanks,

Secondary can be done in 16mm mlcp for ease threading through joists or copper both have to be insulated with a min of 13mm wall thickness

No plastic

Assuming the new cylinder replaced an earlier one in the same location, you might also find that the old pipework from the cylinder to the taps is now excessively large bore for the flow required now that the pressure has been increased. If so, the pipework could merely be replaced with smaller diameter pipework. Since 22mm pipe has twice the water content per length that 15mm has, for example, it might be worth considering replacing your old pipes from upstairs.

Reply to Unvented cylinder location in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock