Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder for ASHP in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. I have an Isoflo CL170 cylinder with good few years life left in it in my system which has performed trouble-free other than the odd new immersion element. I'm getting a new ASHP fitted and the installer is recommending scrapping the Isoflo and replacing it with a Secon Trade Heatpump cylinder (unvented, 170 litre), which they would supply. I suspect the argument is that its heat exchanger is designed for the the lower flow temperatures from the ASHP, whereas the Megaflo expects higher flow temperatures to its heat exchanger. A couple of questions: Is it worth the additional cost for what may be a marginal benefit? Is Secon a reputable make - I've no experience of them, nor heard of them. Thanks!

Will be down to the surface area of the coil with ashp you need min 3 m3

You can still use your old one but you will have to get them to install a plate eg plate loaded the cylinder

Pic for reference as it’s a commercial cylinder in picture

As the coil doesn’t have enough surface area you would need to use a plate heat exchanger to transfer the heat and a bronze pump to pump it around

So in essence it takes the cold water from the bottom of the cylinder, through the bronze pump and through the plate hex (which is fed from the heat pump ) and then back in via the secondary return port

1655928655948.jpeg

Reply to Unvented cylinder for ASHP in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating source to a heat pump and so I have had a new water cylinder installed (different internal element required). This means that I have a 2.5 year old StainlessLITE Plus Horizontal unvented mains pressure 204L cylinder left over. We had it installed in Jan...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
Interested on thoughts on this (I've also posted on another forum but thought this might be a better place to ask); Long time lurker, have gleamed some great knowledge from this site, finally signed up as I cant find an exact answer to the below. I'm not a heating engineer, but an electrical...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock