• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Unvented cylinder for ASHP in the Renewable Energy area at PlumbersForums.net

Heroformosa

Hi all. I have an Isoflo CL170 cylinder with good few years life left in it in my system which has performed trouble-free other than the odd new immersion element. I'm getting a new ASHP fitted and the installer is recommending scrapping the Isoflo and replacing it with a Secon Trade Heatpump cylinder (unvented, 170 litre), which they would supply. I suspect the argument is that its heat exchanger is designed for the the lower flow temperatures from the ASHP, whereas the Megaflo expects higher flow temperatures to its heat exchanger. A couple of questions: Is it worth the additional cost for what may be a marginal benefit? Is Secon a reputable make - I've no experience of them, nor heard of them. Thanks!

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Will be down to the surface area of the coil with ashp you need min 3 m3

You can still use your old one but you will have to get them to install a plate eg plate loaded the cylinder

Heroformosa

Will be down to the surface area of the coil with ashp you need min 3 m3

You can still use your old one but you will have to get them to install a plate eg plate loaded the cylinder
Thanks ShaunCorbs - can you just run the end of that second sentence past me again? Thanks.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Pic for reference as it’s a commercial cylinder in picture

As the coil doesn’t have enough surface area you would need to use a plate heat exchanger to transfer the heat and a bronze pump to pump it around

So in essence it takes the cold water from the bottom of the cylinder, through the bronze pump and through the plate hex (which is fed from the heat pump ) and then back in via the secondary return port

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Reply to Unvented cylinder for ASHP in the Renewable Energy area at PlumbersForums.net