Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder. Does this guy know what’s he’s doing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey guys,

Quick question for all you central heating experts out there.

I’ve had a guy lowering two expansion vessels and installing additional zone valve for a new extension. As the result he’s re-done most of the plumbing in the airing cupboard. Nice guy, but he was rushing to get the job done. We’ve agreed to a day full, but he didn’t finish and suggested returning tomorrow, but at 1.5 his day rate to compete the wiring and connect the discharge pipe. We’ve agreed on next Tuesday as I’m out of work at the moment. He’s connected the immersion heater, and we can live on that until then, without central heating.

But, after I’ve pointed out that he was originally putting a Magnoclean on a flow not a return I have some doubts and wonder if he’s missed anything else out? Would you point anything else out to him before paying?
How long does the wiring this kind of system should take?

Thanks for your advise,
Lumen

C73C3322-6AE1-4D4E-927B-3EE5F119E669.jpeg
9A3671F5-8100-4D43-AC55-BCB24205C573.jpeg
B83F34D9-F1CF-4785-98F9-AB239808BB4E.jpeg
29111B83-7BFE-43AA-ADD8-DD0B16563FD5.jpeg

Looks ok from here there's alot going on in a small space so it's not easy to make the pipework look tidy give him the benefit of the doubt you need this completed , all the hot and cold pipework should be insulated this is something you can do 1.5 days is about right I would say . Kop

Would you point anything else out to him before paying?

Everything in your post seemed reasonable until the above question.

The way I read it, and I may be wrong, but it seems you want plumbers on here to nitpick the job so that you can use that against paying your plumber the full or agreed amount.

What are your intentions?
Print out a list of supposed faults from plumbers on this forum, present them to your plumber and say "When you've fixed all these faults, I will negotiate payment with you"

Maybe you should have tackled the alterations yourself

Would you point anything else out to him before paying?

Everything in your post seemed reasonable until the above question.

The way I read it, and I may be wrong, but it seems you want plumbers on here to nitpick the job so that you can use that against paying your plumber the full or agreed amount.

What are your intentions?
Print out a list of supposed faults from plumbers on this forum, present them to your plumber and say "When you've fixed all these faults, I will negotiate payment with you"

Maybe you should have tackled the alterations yourself

No, you misunderstood my intentions here. When I first posted on this forum year ago seeking advise on what to system to install and posted a picture of the final install of the unvented cylinder, people ripped into it, saying the the guy who installed it wasn’t even G3 qualified by the look of things. After reading all the replies I was shocked, but I got the install certificate through the post, that put me at ease.
This time, I’m having to pay almost double, so I wanted to make sure it’s done properly and I know if there’s anything to address before paying, as I’m clueless when it comes to plumbing.
[automerge]1585991672[/automerge]
Looks ok from here there's alot going on in a small space so it's not easy to make the pipework look tidy give him the benefit of the doubt you need this completed , all the hot and cold pipework should be insulated this is something you can do 1.5 days is about right I would say . Kop
Thank you for the replies Kop.
He did mention pipe insulation, I will be looking at doing that myself after the central heating system has been finished and pressure tested for few weeks. On the subject of pipe lagging, I understand the need of insulating cold water pipes, as I’ve seen those sweat and hot pipes loose valuable heat of course, but how do pipes perform under lagging with test of time? Will the lagging impact the life span, pipe doesn’t deteriorate faster due to contact with plastic and heat with time?

I’ve seen my pipe blackened where pipe was lagged in between floor joists.
We will be doing the floor this summer, and can get access to all underfloor space, is it worth insulation all the pipes under there, as this is where majority of the pipe will be, and what’s in the airing cupboard is only a small part.

Attachments

• E7A395DA-5C04-43CE-9DF0-80E15B37D9CF.jpeg
    E7A395DA-5C04-43CE-9DF0-80E15B37D9CF.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
No, you misunderstood my intentions here. When I first posted on this forum year ago seeking advise on what to system to install and posted a picture of the final install of the unvented cylinder, people ripped into it, saying the the guy who installed it wasn’t even G3 qualified by the look of things. After reading all the replies I was shocked, but I got the install certificate through the post, that put me at ease.
This time, I’m having to pay almost double, so I wanted to make sure it’s done properly and I know if there’s anything to address before paying, as I’m clueless when it comes to plumbing.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you were meaning to interpret.
( Common trait of mine )
The plumbing works looks good and everything is neat and well set out.
There has been some forethought from the plumber doing the job.

I would assume from the pics you posted that this person is not a 'fly by nighter' and would remedy any problems that may arise.
You're obviously apprehensive about plumbers and this comes across in this post.
The person doing the works seems to know what they are doing - even though they may have installed the Magnaclean on the flow, until you corrected them.
We all make mistakes, not that it was a detrimental one, and it looks like it was corrected.

PS: I would have installed the by pass valve vertical

This is good quality work and nothing there says to me he doesn't know what he's doing or a bodger. Looks like you've got a decent quality tradesman in. He's certainly managed to cram a lot into a small space and kept it about as neat as you can. People might have their own ideas with the exact layout but he's done nothing wrong as far as I can see.

As for lagging causing premature failure or corrosion of pipework, absolutely not as it would be crazy to have a product designed for copper pipework that caused degradation of the material.

My only question is how is he going about connecting up the pressure relief pipework? Obviously it can't stay on a hose but I'm sure he's not planning on doing that!

He did actually get it on to the return, you can see it in a couple of the photos. Agreed though, putting it on the return is a preference but if there is literally no way to do that or it'd be in a stupid place, it can go on the flow as you say.

Who quoted / agreed to one day to do that ?

Reply to Unvented Cylinder. Does this guy know what’s he’s doing? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock