Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder and heating issue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. At a job today there's a regular boiler feeding an unvented cylinder, heating, hot water and UFH. For some reason the flow to the UFH was cold whilst the return was getting hot. So we swapped over the pipework hoping that was the fix. Unfortunately it wasnt. The set up has three 2 port valves which seem to work fine when the stats are operated. Anyway after swapping the flow and return from the boiler we wasn't getting much heat in the rads. Maybe the return was backing up? Any of you lads got any ideas what to look for tomorrow???

probably a circulation issue with the controls/ valves on the pipework to the under floor manifold or on the manifold itself.

if it has been working correctly before i dont think the pipework would be crossed over.

I don't think it has been working since installation a couple of months now.

Let me get this right. The lever arm on the motorised valves should automatically move to open when you operate the stat. But should locate in the auto position when not being used???

when stat turns off/ reaches temp the valve should return to the closed position which shuts the boiler off. Very important on the supply to the cylinder especially. normally closed valves. bypass important.

The heating and wiring intrigue me unfortunately I don't get to work on it as often as I would like.
Also went to a house today with an S plan system with 2 heating zones and the DHW. For some reason when only the DHW was switched on via the programmer the heating kicked in ??? Replaced the 2 port valve and upstairs stat but still the heating comes on when only the DHW is called for

Is it a regular boiler with a separate pump?
have come across before where installer has connected the f&r into the mains before the pump.

Also went to a house today with an S plan system with 2 heating zones and the DHW. For some reason when only the DHW was switched on via the programmer the heating kicked in ??? Replaced the 2 port valve and upstairs stat but still the heating comes on when only the DHW is called for

could even be not enough core's run to clock so sparks bodged it up.

clock should put power to the stat which puts power to valve which moves and puts power to switch live to boiler and pump. if turning on the hot water opens the heating valves then its wired wrong. Sometimes its easier to just take it all apart and rewire them instead of trying to figure out whats wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder and heating issue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
So after having engineer drawings back I'm limited to around 90cm of loft height. I was thinking of a preplumbed horizontal cylinder. But now wondering if a pump and zone valves on the landing in a separate cupboard with just the cylinder flow return going to the loft. Is this an ok idea of...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi, I’m having issues with cold water to multiple outlets. Taps, showers, toilets cold water is fine at the kitchen sink. The hot water system is a Glenhill unvented cylinder. Hot water is fine at all outlets. I assumed the cold outlets not working were from the balanced cold from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock