Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I'm an Electrician by trade. I've just moved into a New Build flat, where there is no Gas. I have a water cylinder named ThermaQ Evocyl that has two immersion heaters. When I moved in they told me to keep the bottom immersion on all the time and use the top immersion if I needed more hot water.
There's no timer or controls for it anywhere. This seems a bit crazy to me.
Are these tanks designed to be on 24/7?
Will this destroy my electricity bill?
I feel like I want to put a timer on it, but I'd like to see what you guys think before I start altering anything.

In short the cylinder holds its heat for a very long time so immersion stat once satisfied will only come on when temperature drops in the cylinder. So no your bill won’t be too much extra but you can add timers if you want

The bottom heater would usually be on a timer and you'd have a 2 rate Electric meter for Economy 7.
Is there a timer within the Consumer unit or next to the meter?

I would ask the supplier if / what’s the prices for eco 7 then just wire the bottom into a timer / eco 7 kit

and the top into a boost switch

Hi,
I'm an Electrician by trade. I've just moved into a New Build flat, where there is no Gas. I have a water cylinder named ThermaQ Evocyl that has two immersion heaters. When I moved in they told me to keep the bottom immersion on all the time and use the top immersion if I needed more hot water.
There's no timer or controls for it anywhere. This seems a bit crazy to me.
Are these tanks designed to be on 24/7?
Will this destroy my electricity bill?
I feel like I want to put a timer on it, but I'd like to see what you guys think before I start altering anything.
What size is the cylinder (in gallons or litres)?

I've attached a photo with lots of information on it.

Attachments

• Photo 10-02-2021, 09 13 11.jpg
    Photo 10-02-2021, 09 13 11.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Photo 10-02-2021, 09 13 29.jpg
    Photo 10-02-2021, 09 13 29.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 15
Just to add, these new cylinders typically lose about 2kw a day. With electric around 15p a kw, 30p a day having it on 24/7 for convenience isn’t bad, not great or cheap like gas, but not gonna break the bank.

Reply to Unvented Cylinder Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock