Search the forum,

Discuss Unsweating a soldered joint tight to ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I often find on replacing a boiler I have to unsolder a joint far too close to the ceiling than makes me comfortable!! How do you guy say do it without setting fire to the house, I'm always worried the flame will catch something in the ceiling...

this is is an example, the 22mm flow pipe coupler, it was the only bit of 'fresh' pipe to get on... bathroom above etc!

IMG_1029.jpg

If that close leave and clean some new pipe further down to add my coupling in, as somtimes they can be a "&@@ to unsolder, aways don't play ball when you don't want to burn anything :D

Looks like you're half way there already with the tin pinned up.
I do it the same way, mixture of mats, wet rags/towels and bits of metal all pinned up, not had any fires, did have a smouldering joist one time though.

Water spray, heat mats, I always seal the gap around the pipe through the ceiling first too. Get the flame right. And always a fire extinguisher on hand!

Anyone used one of those? Looks handy if it's as good as it looks in the video.

There rubbish too big and take a bit of time to heat up and cool down

Yep It gets a bit hairy , I use a squirter / sprayer and just about soak everything through the hole before I even start , and the all the gear that JC above says ^^^

Try a hot air gun ( some goto 600 degrees) or (as i have) a set of electric tongs with 15, 22 etc fittings - they really do work

Actualy just looked at that link - thise tongs are just like mine except mine are yellow.
Great for inside new expensive kitchen units etc

Have to disagree with shaun. I cant speak for what he has used but heating up and cooling down times are just like a soldering iron. When mine are cooling i just pop them on a step or back in the van on a metal tool vault.
The benefits outweigh the disadvantage, but its not every day i use them but they are great when i do...

Last edited by a moderator:
i learnt to tin solder at school using an iron, same thing old school

Sorry for the rapid-fire replies. I think im on whatsapp lol....

It's true they never un-sweat in the right place, always end up the joint about cracks off 1st :( just always pray it doesn't all come down & im left with an open end in the ceiling to have to get at!!!

Use some of this
[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/LA-CO-Cool-Gel-Heat-Barrier/p/138024"]LA-CO Cool Gel Heat Barrier | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Use some of this
[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/LA-CO-Cool-Gel-Heat-Barrier/p/138024"]LA-CO Cool Gel Heat Barrier | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]
Looks like some sort of lubricant the ex war department would slap on her piles!

I like the idea of flame and the ex war department not so sure about the retardant bit though, I think that was her pet name for me! I think!!!!

I have a pair of the electric solder irons, I have used them in the past to pre heat the joint and if it won't release due to paint and water etc I then use the blow torch but it is used for a much shorter time and minimises any risk.

At last I've found a use for my Rothy heat guard...

$_58.JPG

Last edited:
ebe6f17d65b83ec86b070ac174931fa8.jpg

Mine are arctic. Work very well and worth the 20 quid i paid !

They get very hot indeed. I think they will cope fine. They hit about 500 degrees and can do 22mm easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unsweating a soldered joint tight to ceiling! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock