Search the forum,

Discuss Unrestrained lateral length in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I recently bought a tenement flat in Edinburgh which has never had gas but is in a stair with a gas supply. Following a survey I have been told I cannot be connected due to new regulations. A boxed in water main is beside the gas main pipe in the stair and impedes the instalation of a 505mm "unrestrained lateral length" of pipe. It therefore cannot be done. I was told this policy relates to "IGEM G5 industry standard". I am wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues and has any suggestions for potential remedies?Screenshot_20230512_095004_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Who told you this ?

Who told you this ?
SGN engineer. Apparently its new regulations, end of last year I think. A new connection requires a straight length of 505mm (length differs slightly depending on which floor your on). He said it is causing lots of issues and he has had to re-survey lots of approved surveys where the work isn't complete yet.

Not something I’ve heard of, but I don’t work on incoming pipelines. I would need to read Igem G5 Or speak with them.

Edit: I’ve just been onto Igem’s website for G5 and it appears some amendments were made in April of this year, I would definitely be seeking clarification. A lot seems to have been from Grenfell Tower Incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's due to change of regs in Multi Occupant / High Rise following Grenfell, probably relating to gas supplies in escape routes.
I can't see reference to 505mm but here's an amendment, it refers to figure 6 which isn't included,
Maybe the 505mm was in an earlier amendment,

There's a second amendment included in the PDF but that's not relevant,

Last edited:
SGN engineer. Apparently its new regulations, end of last year I think. A new connection requires a straight length of 505mm (length differs slightly depending on which floor your on). He said it is causing lots of issues and he has had to re-survey lots of approved surveys where the work isn't complete yet.

Sounds like a problem for them and not the new owner as they own the gas main

Reply to Unrestrained lateral length in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock