Search the forum,

Discuss unpressurized open/direct UFH with buffer tank heat source in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

The following is a proposed very simple installation of UFH open/direct to an existing 1000 gallon fossil fuel hot water storage tank:

1631401273414.png

We are told that this won't work since the UFH pipework and pump are above the height of the tank, and therefore gravity will empty the UFH... But our reasoning was that siphon action would prevent this from occurring (since both feed and return will always be below the min level of tank). We have been advised to install a heat exchanger in the tank, and make the UFH circuit pressurized, but this seems unnecessary (and expensive for us). Does anyone have any thoughts, please?

Can’t use ufh on solid fuel

May I ask why / what’s your plan ?

it's just a little off-gird cabin, in the woods, in Alaska. So no rules and regs to follow...but obviously has to work. The HW storage tank is existing, and for the upper floor / mezzanine would be nice to take advantage of that HW with UFH. Thanks

How big is the cabin ?

A good log burner should heat that space no problem

We are told that this won't work since the UFH pipework and pump are above the height of the tank, and therefore gravity will empty the UFH...
I think that the system might work okay to start with but would gradually deteriorate in performance until it reaches equilibrium with the pump and UFH air-locked and the levels in the risers matching the level in the tank. That's assuming you were able to get the pump primed and operating in the first place.

We have been advised to install a heat exchanger in the tank, and make the UFH circuit pressurized, but this seems unnecessary (and expensive for us). Does anyone have any thoughts, please?
An okay solution but you'd need an expansion tank, fill loop, air vent valve (auto or manual) and pressure gauge to complete the setup.

For a cabin in the woods in Alaska, I'd have thought that you'd want a system that was as standard and reliable as possible and to keep a set of key spares on site. I believe it gets pretty cold there in winter.

Reply to unpressurized open/direct UFH with buffer tank heat source in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock