Search the forum,

Discuss Unknown Wire in Airing Cupboard - help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Everyone,.

My wife has asked me to tidy up our airing cupboard, which is next to the bathroom... Pipe boxing in and a paint job... Nothing too serious... I'm a complete novice but should be able to manage this...

When I've looked at it today there appears to be a Green electrical wire coming from the floor up into the wall... Have no idea what this is for and it is right in the way of where I want to box the piping.

Does anyone know what this if for... Is it a vital wire.

It comes from the floor (kitchen below) and leads into the wall ( bathroom) but I do not know where is goes after it enters the wall.

Any help would be amazing.. Ive attached some photos

Thanks

Justin

IMG_20190506_103124.jpg

IMG_20190506_103133.jpg

IMG_20190506_103152.jpg

It's an earth cable. Don't cut it.

Can you trace where it goes? If it goes in the wall it may go to the loft somewhere. It may be an earth feed for the lights as years ago they wasn't required but new regs etc require lighting feeds to have an earth so it's probably been retrofitted.

From the size of it (6 or 10mm2 CSA) it is likely to be equipotential bonding rather than earthing but still don't remove it. If you can carefully lift the boards & see if there is any slack on it you might be able to re-route it under them.
You may still wish to consult an electrician who could investigate & remove if dead, or replace the twin & earth running up the door stop in an exposed position. They may also need to apply supplementary bonding across that Speedfit plastic fitting on the 15mm copper pipe.

while you are at it , increase the life of the copper pipe by cleaning off all the green ***** .
Soapy water and a worn out pan scrub will do it .

Without seeing it and testing for voltage. Can you say 100% that is definitely an Earth? It looks like and earth. But looks like and is are completely separate things.

I just wanted to thank all the positive responses I've received..

I think I will end up getting someone in to check it now and see if there is any slack so I can secure it to the wall if it's required.

Thanks again thank you

From the size of it (6 or 10mm2 CSA) it is likely to be equipotential bonding rather than earthing but still don't remove it. If you can carefully lift the boards & see if there is any slack on it you might be able to re-route it under them.
You may still wish to consult an electrician who could investigate & remove if dead, or replace the twin & earth running up the door stop in an exposed position. They may also need to apply supplementary bonding across that Speedfit plastic fitting on the 15mm copper pipe.

Excuse my ignorance Chris but what is Supplementary bonding...

Thanks

Metallic pipework (copper in this case) are connected together at a suitable point with a 10mm2 cable & this is in turn connected to the MET (main earth terminal). This is called equipotential bonding and is intended to ensure all the pipework is at the same potential under fault conditions.
It is taken that these metallic pipes will run right through the property uninterrupted thereby providing full protection. If some bright person cuts these pipes & installs a plastic fitting such as the coupling in your photo then the continuity along the pipe is lost, presenting a possible danger.
What should have happened is a supplementary bond should have installed using earth bond clamps, one to each of the pieces of copper with a bit of 10mm2 to bridge the gap.
Supplementary Bonding is sometimes required if after testing the resistance of the Metallic systems is classed as too high.

Reply to Unknown Wire in Airing Cupboard - help please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock