Search the forum,

Discuss Unknown fitting is this a valve???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all,
Can anybody shed some light on the below? It’s on an incoming 4” main which is supplying a large commercial site. Found where the stopcock should be.
Thanks in advance
9B50576B-D299-4258-ABF2-05614B3E77B0.jpeg

Has the site got a sprinkler system?

Otherwise, Just guessing;

1st guess, as it's got a gauge each side then possibly a check valve.
2nd guess, stopcock under the screwed cap.

Either way if you're looking to turn off, ring the local water co. and they'll either come out or describe where the stopcock is.

Snowhead, yes has got a sprinkler system. I had a thought it may be a screw head with stopcock underneath.

Shutdown is scheduled for Saturday so hopefully local water co will come out quickly, I won’t hold my breath!

Looks to me like a pressure reducing valve that cross head is what you often see on the top of the pressure adjusting screw on them & it would make sense with a gauge on both sides i.e. pressure in & out.
Also heavy reduction in the pipe diameter through the fitting.
It is not going to be a stop valve so would try removing the cap/head until you find out more.

prv

phone the water board up and tell them you cant find the stop tap they will come out and paint it blue / dig it out and give you a location

Commercial sites with mixed supplies & sprinklers are often fitted with Whole site / zone protection. Large single check valves are installed on the leg serving the fire fighting system. (it doesn't look like a check valve to me)

Last edited:

Reply to Unknown fitting is this a valve???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock