Search the forum,

Discuss Understanding the system and rad issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there 👋🏾

Hoping that someone might be able to take the time to help me understand our central heating system.

We recently moved in to a relatively new, 4-bed semi-detached house (2015), having come from a 2-bed flat. The new house has three floors, with a ground floor WC, first floor bathroom and second floor en-suite.

The flat had a combi boiler only; very straightforward to understand.

Here we have a tank, which is described as an indirect unvented water heater and "conventional" boiler.

I've got three issues - possibly connected:

1) in redecorating we had one of the radiators removed and drained. Whilst we were able to bleed it to get it filled again, this seems to have drained one of the second floor rads - I've tried bleeding them and one doesn't hiss with air or return water...any ideas?

2) the pressure gauge near the hot water tank was at around 1.5 bar after the radiator was replaced, but now seems to have dropped - I would assume I need to open the two valves in the attached picture near this small tank (no idea what this does)?

3) the pipes near the tank itself male hissing sounds intermittently - not sure if I should be worried?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210829_185402.jpg
    20210829_185402.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210829_185343.jpg
    20210829_185343.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210829_185331.jpg
    20210829_185331.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210829_185324.jpg
    20210829_185324.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
you need to top up using those two valves open them allow to approx 1.5 bar bleed you r rads and repeat until all full pressure in system when cold should be 1 to 1.5 bar 1.5 is where the red pointer is

you need to top up using those two valves open them allow to approx 1.5 bar bleed you r rads and repeat until all full pressure in system when cold should be 1 to 1.5 bar 1.5 is where the red pointer is
Thanks for the swift response - I'll give this a go.

In theory, should this deal with the second floor rads too? Being that they are above the hot water tank?

When you bled the lower rad, the water to fill it came from the second floor rads- you just moved around the water that was in the system.

When you use the black valves on the filling loop the water comes from the mains so you are adding water to the system, when you bleed the air out all will be fine - it may take a couple of goes .

Thanks @Ben-gee and @Undertrained - bit delayed in my response, but I got it sorted (though, I reckon the system needs flushing now as some rads are cold at the bottom and hot at the top...)
When you bled the lower rad, the water to fill it came from the second floor rads- you just moved around the water that was in the system.

When you use the black valves on the filling loop the water comes from the mains so you are adding water to the system, when you bleed the air out all will be fine - it may take a couple of goes .

Reply to Understanding the system and rad issues in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock