Search the forum,

Discuss Understanding gas central heating system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone,

We have recently moved to the UK, so really don't know much about gas central heating and boilers over here etc. So this is probably a very basic question but I just don't know!

We are moving to a house later this month. It has a "wall-mounted gas-fired boiler for domestic hot water and central heating" in the downstairs kitchen.
Upstairs in the bedroom, we have an "airing cupboard housing foam-dipped tank". The house was built around 1996 if that helps.

Am I right in saying that the gas boiler fires up 'on demand' to supply the central heating and hot water taps when turned on? so where does the foam tank fit in?
Does it just work as a hot water holding tank upstairs for the bathroom taps? and if so, does it constantly pull hot water from the gas boiler switching it on and off throughout the day? or would it be a stand-alone electric gezer?

I hope you follow what I am trying to ask. Any help in understanding this type of system would be appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

It sounds like you would have a gravity hot water system in this house.

The boiler provides central heating via the radiators as you expect.

The boiler provides hot water via the cylinder in the airing cupboard. This is heated by the boiler and stored in the cylinder until required. You should have control over the re-heating times via a programmer.

It will be a gravity system with large cold water storage tank in the loft.

To provide a satisfactory shower upstairs there may well be a pump to boost the pressure and increase flow.

Don’t worry this can be a very robust system!

As above plus,
The foam covered cylinder upstairs will provide hot water to all the taps and the stored temperature is controlled by a thermostat on the outside of the cylinder, that will call for the boiler if the timed setting for hot water is on.

There may also be a backup electric immersion heater in the foam covered cylinder just controlled by an On / Off switch, which may be local to the cylinder or in the kitchen but should be marked Immersion heater
If it has, make sure it's off as electricity charges in the U.K are high compared to gas (always have been, nothing to do with recent World energy issues)

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Obviously, I will need to look at it more closely once we move in but at least I have a good basic understanding now :) it all makes sense.

Have a great Day

Thanks
Adam

Reply to Understanding gas central heating system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock