Search the forum,

Discuss Understanding Council Requirements in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

The Council Inspection advised the following. Not sure fully what it means and was hoping if someone could simply it please:

"drain connection for the gully on the side was unsatisfactory and requires a proper internal backdrop connection to the manhole, with the pipework inside the manhole in cast iron and the entry formed, within the benching, just above the main channel, into the direction of flow. Rodding access is required at the knuckle of the connection bend at high level."

We’re you there when he inspected it ?

I'd guess that the builder has knocked a hole in the side of the manhole, part way up, for the new gulley pipework, possibly in the side.
This would mean the water from the gulley will splash down into the main channel.

It needs to discharge into the main channel in the same direction as the flow.

The backdrop referred to is an internal extension of the existing pipe to take the discharge to a lower level.
The drop down needs an access point for rodding.
And thr drop pipe needs brackets onto the manhole side wall.

It would appear the builder isn't familiar with drains design.

Have you tried contacting them to get a better understanding? I get most of it, but can’t understand the cast iron piping bit.

Have you tried contacting them to get a better understanding? I get most of it, but can’t understand the cast iron piping bit.
So the builder has made a plastic pipe. What the Inspector has recommended according to th
It seems they are asking for a cast iron backdrop

Does that mean that a cast iron pipe needs to be connected with the existing plastic pipe to go down nearer to the manhole?

Hi,

Here are the photos as requested.

Will appreciate anymore feedback thanks.

d1.jpeg

d2.jpeg

The benching is the formed mortar shaped round the drainage pipes at the base of the manhole so you need to get your backdrop down to that level. I presume the new brown elbow pointing down is from your gully. If so the direction of flow from your gully is running the opposite way to the drainage which will make it difficult to get the backdrop flowing the correct way without taking up to much room within the chamber. Really the gully should have been branched in further down the line and a new inspection chamber should have been added. Are you sure it was a builder who did this? It looks more d.i.y to me.

This is probably going to be impossible to resolve in that existing Chamber.
As above post, another chamber looks to be needed.

First reason is the depth and access.
It looks to be about 1mtr deep, so way too far to reach in and use tools, unless someone is suspended upside down.

When it was first built the channel and benching would have been completed first, then the side walls built up afterwards.

Second reason is insufficient room to break out the existing channel / benching and add the discharge from the gulley.

Are all of the Inlets 1,2,3,4,5 in use (6 being the outlet) and does this chamber serve more than 1 property?

Chamber Croped.jpeg.png

Thanks Craig Watson and snowhead. My builder this and we assume his plumber did not have enough expertise which is why our Council has rightfully flagged it.

To my limited knowledge, and in answer to snowhead's question, we share this our neighbour.

How much would a job like this cost to fix (ball park) ?

TBH nothing as it’s the builders problem so shouldn’t charge you

TBH nothing as it’s the builders problem so shouldn’t charge you

You are right. However I feel our builder might go for the cheapest route and probably taking shortcuts so we are waiting for his proposal. We are trying to get a quote from a professional and put that forward to the builder and get it done properly and at worst case pay the difference.

BCO are generally pretty helpful in my experience, always worth a chat with them before starting anything like this. Have you got a contract with your builder? If so it's hopefully his problem to sort out.

Reply to Understanding Council Requirements in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock