Search the forum,

Discuss Undersized System Boiler??? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

So I posted a while back regarding my 300ltr unvented cylinder not seeming to keep any volume of water hot for very long.
Could it be the system boiler is not powerful enough? I have approx 220m2 of underfloor heating and the hot water cylinder’s . Does anyone know if Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000 18kw system boiler is sufficient?

Merry Christmas and thank you in advance

Stagger the times eg heat in the early hours 2-4 am etc

There’s something wrong there as the ufh should of warmed the place up by then

Is the red pipe still of eg bronze pump ?

I’ve just read through your previous post.

Let’s clear some Rubbish up.

If you’ve got 220m2 of underfloor heating and we use a middle ground of 70w per m2, that’s around 16.5kw. Obviously when the system is warmed up, that load reduces.

Looking at the cylinder data, it’s cool is around 17kw, and if provided the full 17kw (and there are no other issues (cold cross over)), it should reheat in about 50 mins.

You’ve currently got the cylinder coming on for 2 hours in the morning, when the underfloor heating is likely calling for all available heat to warm the property after a cooler night time period.

So if the underfloor heating is calling for anywhere between 10kw-16.5kw, you’re left with nothing for the hot water cylinder.

What is available, will do very little in the 2 hours it’s set for.

This next bit regarding cylinder timings is a bit controversial.

Old copper cylinders with crappy insulation, lose a lot of heat. This is part of the reason people timed the heat up periods.

Newer cylinders are better insulated but still lose heat. I think your cylinder loses 2.2kw per 24hr. It loses this wether the cylinder is programmed to heat for 2 hours, twice a day or left on constant.

If the cylinder water is cooler, let’s say 50c, because it heated in the morning for 2 hours and now it’s 3pm and it’s lost heat, it’s standing losses will be less than if it was kept at 60c.

Now, saying that; I personally feel that the difference in loses are so small, there is very little money to be saved by having the hot water timed, rather than on constant.

Now looking at your cylinder design, the thermostat is 1/3 up the cylinder and the hot water return is connected at the top. This is creating stratification in the cylinder and the bottom 1/3-1/6 of the cylinder is in essence not contributing to your capacity.

To resolve this, I would have connected the hot water return to the cold inlet, this would ensure max use of the cylinder capacity.

The return also looks like it’s in 22mm, when 15mm should have been used. You’re losing a lot more heat (especially if uninsulated) with 22mm over 15mm.

So, what would I do to maximise the hot water situation.
A bigger boiler would help and should really have been specced during design. However, I wouldn’t change it until it breaks.

Firstly, I’d leave the hot water on 24/7 unless the noise of the boiler disturbs sleeping (then I’d set it off for say 11pm-4am.
This change isn’t going to make a huge difference to your efficiency. With your current timed periods, you lose around a kw of standing loses between reheats.

With constant, you’re still going to lose roughly the same standing loses but rather than reheating all the loses in one go at the next timed period, you’re reheating the loses a little bit at a time throughout the day.

You could get it rewired for hot water priority. Although I wouldn’t bother, just leave it on 24/7. However, without a rewire, you will still struggle with hot water if you empty the tank throughout the day as it will struggle to reheat with the underfloor heating on. Hot water priority stops heat to the rest of the system until the hot water cylinder is at temp.

I’d get the recirc pump connection moved and power it from a timer set for the morning/evening busy periods. This way you’re reducing the amount of pipework heat loses.

Do your underfloor heating manifolds have bypasses/mixing valves to control the temp of water being circulated? If so, set the boiler temp higher 70c/75c. This will give the system more heat/energy and mean the cylinder can take more.

I’ve had enough typing on my phone for one evening. Hope it makes sense.

I’ve just read through your previous post.

Let’s clear some Rubbish up.

If you’ve got 220m2 of underfloor heating and we use a middle ground of 70w per m2, that’s around 16.5kw. Obviously when the system is warmed up, that load reduces.

Looking at the cylinder data, it’s cool is around 17kw, and if provided the full 17kw (and there are no other issues (cold cross over)), it should reheat in about 50 mins.

You’ve currently got the cylinder coming on for 2 hours in the morning, when the underfloor heating is likely calling for all available heat to warm the property after a cooler night time period.

So if the underfloor heating is calling for anywhere between 10kw-16.5kw, you’re left with nothing for the hot water cylinder.

What is available, will do very little in the 2 hours it’s set for.

This next bit regarding cylinder timings is a bit controversial.

Old copper cylinders with crappy insulation, lose a lot of heat. This is part of the reason people timed the heat up periods.

Newer cylinders are better insulated but still lose heat. I think your cylinder loses 2.2kw per 24hr. It loses this wether the cylinder is programmed to heat for 2 hours, twice a day or left on constant.

If the cylinder water is cooler, let’s say 50c, because it heated in the morning for 2 hours and now it’s 3pm and it’s lost heat, it’s standing losses will be less than if it was kept at 60c.

Now, saying that; I personally feel that the difference in loses are so small, there is very little money to be saved by having the hot water timed, rather than on constant.

Now looking at your cylinder design, the thermostat is 1/3 up the cylinder and the hot water return is connected at the top. This is creating stratification in the cylinder and the bottom 1/3-1/6 of the cylinder is in essence not contributing to your capacity.

To resolve this, I would have connected the hot water return to the cold inlet, this would ensure max use of the cylinder capacity.

The return also looks like it’s in 22mm, when 15mm should have been used. You’re losing a lot more heat (especially if uninsulated) with 22mm over 15mm.

So, what would I do to maximise the hot water situation.
A bigger boiler would help and should really have been specced during design. However, I wouldn’t change it until it breaks.

Firstly, I’d leave the hot water on 24/7 unless the noise of the boiler disturbs sleeping (then I’d set it off for say 11pm-4am.
This change isn’t going to make a huge difference to your efficiency. With your current timed periods, you lose around a kw of standing loses between reheats.

With constant, you’re still going to lose roughly the same standing loses but rather than reheating all the loses in one go at the next timed period, you’re reheating the loses a little bit at a time throughout the day.

You could get it rewired for hot water priority. Although I wouldn’t bother, just leave it on 24/7. However, without a rewire, you will still struggle with hot water if you empty the tank throughout the day as it will struggle to reheat with the underfloor heating on. Hot water priority stops heat to the rest of the system until the hot water cylinder is at temp.

I’d get the recirc pump connection moved and power it from a timer set for the morning/evening busy periods. This way you’re reducing the amount of pipework heat loses.

Do your underfloor heating manifolds have bypasses/mixing valves to control the temp of water being circulated? If so, set the boiler temp higher 70c/75c. This will give the system more heat/energy and mean the cylinder can take more.

I’ve had enough typing on my phone for one evening. Hope it makes sense.
Thank you so much for taking the time for such an in-depth response.
My property is a new build and the developer is willing to put right any issues that are incorrectly installed, I just have to prove them first, hence why I’m here.
I’ve tried ringing plumbers asking them to check my install and give recommendations but they all seem too busy and the write up needed seems to put them off.
I’ll put forward your sizing calculations and hopefully it will be enough for them to install a sufficiently sized system boiler for output needed.
Am I also correct that secondary loop pipe work has to be insulated according to building regulations.

Many thanks again for your time 😊

Thank you so much for taking the time for such an in-depth response.
My property is a new build and the developer is willing to put right any issues that are incorrectly installed, I just have to prove them first, hence why I’m here.
I’ve tried ringing plumbers asking them to check my install and give recommendations but they all seem too busy and the write up needed seems to put them off.
I’ll put forward your sizing calculations and hopefully it will be enough for them to install a sufficiently sized system boiler for output needed.
Am I also correct that secondary loop pipe work has to be insulated according to building regulations.

Many thanks again for your time 😊
Just a thought, my floors are concrete both upstairs and downstairs, does that change the boiler kw Calc?

On your ufh manifolds can you write down all the flow meter settings when each zone is on eg so everything is calling

Should look like this and should pull down when flow is through eg 1lpm etc

1672254026420.jpeg

On your ufh manifolds can you write down all the flow meter settings when each zone is on eg so everything is calling

Should look like this and should pull down when flow is through eg 1lpm etc

View attachment 80416
I’ve attached pics of the upstairs and downstairs manifolds. Are the readings clear enough for you to see?

Attachments

• A91D0435-15EB-4700-9881-96245C953594.jpeg
    A91D0435-15EB-4700-9881-96245C953594.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1C84AFB5-62DB-4F02-9050-F39900570BD4.jpeg
    1C84AFB5-62DB-4F02-9050-F39900570BD4.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 12
Just after a very quick look at the manifold flow rates, seem to total ~ 21LPM, at a manifold dT of 7C = 10.26kw, at dT 8C = 11.7kw, at dT 9c = 13.2kw & at dT 10C = 14.65kw.
You should have between 3.5kw and 8kw available for heating it, say 5.5kw., which will raise 300L of water by 15.8C/hr or worst case if only 3.5kw available, 10.0C/hr. Assume cylinder cold water temp at 15C then should have a cylinder temp of 46.6C or 35C after 2 hour heating.

So 17 zones running roughly 1.8 lpm = 20 kw required just for the floor so either manifold incorrectly set or not much insulation

New build unless it’s a castle should be under 12 kw heat loss tbh should be sub 8kw

New build unless it’s a castle should be under 12 kw heat loss tbh should be sub 8kw
New build unless it’s a castle should be under 12 kw heat loss tbh should be
So is my 18kw system boiler sufficient in theory for the m2 of UFH and HW, just not with my inefficient set up? I already discovered my secondary HW pipes were not insulated but hadn’t considered the UFH

Yep and best ask the builders for the ufh design spec should give you each zones heat loss and flow rate required

A very good indication of the UFH requirement is to take a photo of the gas flow meter at the start & end of say a 3 min period and x the difference by 194 to give the boiler output in kw.

Yep and best ask the builders for the ufh design spec should give you each zones heat loss and flow rate required
I don’t think they have one! When I asked for this previously all I got was a list of parts!! The developer is actually really helpful but the actual builder is a nightmare.
I’ve attached what they sent me incase it means anything more to you.

Attachments

• Bespoke UFloor Heating Quote B93 Plots 2 & 3 Allsop Construction.pdf
    575.6 KB · Views: 15
200mm apart ffs not good if not a very good thing if Heatloss is high Ask them for the supplier then email them they should supply you will a design

Reply to Undersized System Boiler??? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock