Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating Pump goes into a blocked error (Grundfos UPM3) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all!

Went to stick the underfloor heating on and the pump started making a weird noise and the first red LED and the last amber LED are on - which per instructions means that the pump is blocked and it is necessary to deblock the shaft. It has a deblocking screw in the centre of the control box so I push it down and turned it counter-clockwise multiple times and I can hear it turning so the shaft shouldn't be blocked. But when I turn the system back on it goes into the same error mode.
I even tried to give it a a few love taps with a rubber hammer - anything else I can do, besides calling the engineer to have a look?

The pump is also a new one having been installed back in March this year, so I doubt any sludge is in the pump yet.
Worth mentioning that this is the first time we have switched the heating on for at least 5 months.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 10.59.43.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 10.59.43.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
Did you love tap the screwdriver?

Need to split the pump and clean the ball

I had the same issue. I found the anti clockwise turn alone wouldn’t clear it. I isolated the flow and return, switched off the power and then tapped the screwdriver with a hammer whilst turning. I then switched it on with the flow and return still off and it started again. Then turned the flow and return on and all working.

I had the same issue. I found the anti clockwise turn alone wouldn’t clear it. I isolated the flow and return, switched off the power and then tapped the screwdriver with a hammer whilst turning. I then switched it on with the flow and return still off and it started again. Then turned the flow and return on and all working.

I had the same issue. Tried turning anti clockwise multiple times but it didn’t work. Then found Jon’s advice, tried that and it worked first time. Thank you Jon!

Reply to Underfloor Heating Pump goes into a blocked error (Grundfos UPM3) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have I blend valve from Nu-Heat ( they bought it from Reliance, as per attached spec). I have dismantled the valve now 3 times and replaced it with new components from Nu-Heat but the valve is not working properly. The valve replacement seems very simple with 4 main components and some...
Replies
Views
N
We have a weird 'dual' system in our 2 floor house we just rented out - meaning that the ground floor has an underfloor system and the top floor has a classic radiator system. Both are hooked up to the gas boiler (as well as the hot water tank/cylinder). I've never had underfloor heating before...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a house which uses a Grundfos UPS 3 pump to circulate the water in a wet underfloor heating system. Last autumn the pump would not start - the blocked message showed - so I replaced it. This year, the same thing has happened with the new pump. I have freed the impeller using...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock