Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor heating problems in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a water underfloor heating system installed that has never really worked. There were also radiators installed around the same time that also didn’t work. So basically the entire central heating doesn’t work. There is no air gap in the water pipes, I’m convinced there are some underlying installation issues.

If I may outline my setup below I would appreciate comments on what may be the underlying cause, so I can investigate further.

(1) I have a green star combo boiler (15 yrs old) serving 3 bathrooms and 7 zones on the manifold- is there likely to be a boiler capacity issue?
(2) there is no separation valve between the radiator pipes system and the underfloor heating system. Is it needed? If so recommendations on what kind?
(3) There is a fair bit of distance between my gas meter and the boiler - it was suggested to be that the gas supply to the boiler may be inadequate. How can I check this and determine what needs to happen without it costing a bomb?

Underfloor heating should have its own zone valve and pump and be able to work separately to the radiators

as for gas you need someone gas safe to ascertain if supply is correct

judging by size of system and 3 bathrooms your combi would be the wrong type of boiler really

As above, but boiler output/gas supply can be determined easily enough if gas meter is monitored accurately over say a 2 minute period, with both rads & UFH calling for full output, calculation can then be done.

Underfloor heating should have its own zone valve and pump and be able to work separately to the radiators

as for gas you need someone gas safe to ascertain if supply is correct

judging by size of system and 3 bathrooms your combi would be the wrong type of boiler really
What kind of system should I look for? Usually plumbers push the boilers they prefer, so would love an independent opinion.

As above, but boiler output/gas supply can be determined easily enough if gas meter is monitored accurately over say a 2 minute period, with both rads & UFH calling for full output, calculation can then be done.
Thank you. I will try to get this done

Regular boiler and unvented cylinder, most guys do like their preferred boiler I like Vaillant and viessmann, cylinders OSO I like. Vaillant have their own. It depends on how much you are willing to invest.

Regular boiler and unvented cylinder, most guys do like their preferred boiler I like Vaillant and viessmann, cylinders OSO I like. Vaillant have their own. It depends on how much you are willing to invest.

Make sure you get someone to measure pressures/flow rates before jumping on the unvented wagon.

I'm all in favour of calculations but in this case they should be confirmed with direct pressure measurements, which the engineer who services the boiler should make regularly. (They might be on the paperwork left when the boiler was last serviced.)

Hello, Prabs
I have read about your concerns and they aren't minor issues. Please call a certified gas boiler engineer who can resolve any problems. If you don't know the best engineer Please send me a message or reply and I'll inform you about this..

Reply to Underfloor heating problems in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock