Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating Installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys
Im fitting an underfloor heating system in a conservatory and possibly into there kitchen as well. Does anyone know of a system where i could just run off the existing rad in the kitchen. Or is it back to airing cupboard with a separate flow and return.
I know this is the best method as it's going on an open vented 'y'plan system and i always have taken separate supplies to the manifold. Just this job is for a friend and trying to save them some money as there budget is stretched as is.
Thanks in advanced Wally

Hi Guys
Im fitting an underfloor heating system in a conservatory and possibly into there kitchen as well. Does anyone know of a system where i could just run off the existing rad in the kitchen. Or is it back to airing cupboard with a separate flow and return.
I know this is the best method as it's going on an open vented 'y'plan system and i always have taken separate supplies to the manifold. Just this job is for a friend and trying to save them some money as there budget is stretched as is.
Thanks in advanced Wally
Taking it off the rad circuit is going to be a bodge as the heating will have to be on so the UFH can be on which means its not going to be efficient as its best to maintain a temp with UFH as not to let the slab completely cool down. And if you run separate flow and returns back to the airing cupboard then you will have to change the existing Y-plan to an S-plan plus as other wise when the UFH is calling it will also heat what ever side the mid position valve has left open.

What about electric UFH and put a rad in the conservatory as the primary heat source.

I've not really heard much about electric underfloor? I use it in bathrooms to warm the tiles but not to heat the room. As for the rad they are trying to keep the walls as free as possible.

I've not really heard much about electric underfloor? I use it in bathrooms to warm the tiles but not to heat the room. As for the rad they are trying to keep the walls as free as possible.
Go with the electric heating matt and a statt

Only proper way is on a separate circuit from the boiler as lee as stated could go electric but running costs ? Check these out regards kop

Taking it off the rad circuit is going to be a bodge as the heating will have to be on so the UFH can be on which means its not going to be efficient as its best to maintain a temp with UFH as not to let the slab completely cool down. And if you run separate flow and returns back to the airing cupboard then you will have to change the existing Y-plan to an S-plan plus as other wise when the UFH is calling it will also heat what ever side the mid position valve has left open.
Definitely agree with your opinion. I would imagine running cost of an electric ufh will be quite expensive.

It does depend on the area you are trying to heat. You could fit a Danfoss FVH-R which is in effect a TRV on an UFH circuit. Size of area at most 15m2. This would run as if it was a radiator (on with the rest of the heating & using the boiler pump) and would connect to the rad system.

Just this job is for a friend and trying to save them some money as there budget is stretched as is.

Was the conservatory designed with UFH in mind? If not, you need to pay close attention to the insulation that is going to be needed below it. In fact you probably need to calculate the losses quite carefully to make sure the heating you are proposing is up to the job. I'm fairly sure you need building regs approval for this type of work too.

My advice is don't do this. Use whatever experience you have to help your friend find the right contractor and right specification but let someone who does it for a living do the work, charge the going rate and provide the warranty and after sales care. That way you'll keep your friend.

Was the conservatory designed with UFH in mind? If not, you need to pay close attention to the insulation that is going to be needed below it. In fact you probably need to calculate the losses quite carefully to make sure the heating you are proposing is up to the job. I'm fairly sure you need building regs approval for this type of work too.

My advice is don't do this. Use whatever experience you have to help your friend find the right contractor and right specification but let someone who does it for a living do the work, charge the going rate and provide the warranty and after sales care. That way you'll keep your friend.
There is a proper builder doing the build and it's more an Orangery than a conservatory. I am a fully qualified heating engineer and have fitted lots of underfloor heating but there is such a huge range of equipment out there i thought there might be something i haven't come across which would do the job. I have always run separate feeds off the primary circuit and converted from y-plan 2 s-plan where needed otherwise you loose control of the hot water temp. The floor will have at least 100mm of celotex and same with what ceiling there is and the walls will also be insulated. They have got building control involved as they don't want a door between the kitchen and orangery so it's classed as an extension. Thanks all for the help have had a chat with them and there happy to do the job complete.

do a proper job bud get the pipes back you could run them under the insulation using pipe in pipe to get you most of the way ?, open vent wont work very well how are you going to push the air out the UFH pipework ?, convert to pressurised. expansion vessel and kit s plan + 1 zone valve and stat for UFH three channel programmer Hortsman do one , don't do half a job it will come back and bite you cheers kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor Heating Installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock