Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating - Cold Rooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

conorpmc

Hi all,
New to this site and looking for some advice.
We built our house 11 years ago and had underfloor heating installed upstairs and down.
I have been more than happy with the system in general, although it was sore on oil for the first year or two until the house was fully dried out.
Our system is zoned with a manifold on each floor and each room in the house has a stat. Our system runs off a standard oil boiler. I have noticed over the last couple of months that some of the rooms are hard to heat so I finally got around to checking the system today. My initial thoughts were that I had a couple of faulty actuators but have taken them off and they are opening and closing as they should. There is plenty of hot water coming in and 4 out of the 6 rooms on the manifold are heating perfectly. On the two rooms that aren't heating, the outflow pipe to the room is hot when it is calling for heat but the return pipe is cold. On the rooms that are working, both pipes are hot with the return pipe being slightly cooler, as they should be. There is two bleed valves on top of the manifold but there is no sign of air from either of them.
Is is possible that there is a blockage within the loop in these rooms? Is is a big job to flush out an under floor system?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks and Regards,
Conor

When you took the actuators off did you check the pins on the valves, they could be seized stuck in the closed position

Neil,
Thanks for the reply. The pins on the valve were out when I took the actuators off and I assumed this is how they shoud be. The actuators are Honeywell z100 bge. I didn't try them all but I was able to push the pins on a couple of them in with a screwdriver and they sprang out again. The heating was on when I was doing this and even with the actuators off and the pins out and the stats turned up in the effected rooms the return pipes were still cold.
Regards,
conor

Try shutting down the other zones to see if you can push it to the 2 that aren't working. I don't know which make of manifold you have but a lot of them you can manually shut down xones with an allen key

Last edited:
what i done yesterday was to shut down all the other zones via the stats and only send heat to the 2 effected rooms. the out pipes to the rooms were hot but the rooms weren't heating and the return pipes remained cold. I ran the heating for over an hour like this. i have attached a pic of my manifold. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iu7b3e4ucqm3s6/manifold.jpg?dl=0

Sounds like you've got an airlock or a blockage then. Best thing to do is set up a hose at the manifold and flush it out. If you feel confident enough to do this well and good. If not then best get a pro in.

Also add some AF10 don't want Spider-Man growing in your ufh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Underfloor Heating - Cold Rooms in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, gotta a bit of an issue with refilling my underfloor heating. Am I right in saying that the flow meters along the manifold should be on the top rail, but as you can see they are at the bottom? Also have I got to loosen off the electrical actuators at the top to refill the system? Cheers
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
We have a Daikin Air Source heat pump feeding our hot water and under-floor 8 port manifold heating system. The Daikin has just had its annual service and the engineer commented that the water looked discoloured and that the inhibitor needed replacing?? Is this an easy procedure? I'm pretty...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
As part of deep house renovation, planning to install wet ufh on the ground floor, and radiators on upper floor. Two bathrooms will have both water based towel warmers and electric ufh, and need dual thermostat to separately control air temp (by running towel warmer) and floor temp. Need...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock