• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Underfloor drainage for wetroom, help pls. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a gas man and plumber, mostly maintenance. A bathroom fitter I'm not!
My knowledge of underground drainage and building fabric is shocking.
However its summer, I've just settled my tax on account and I find myself tempted by a dreaded assist on a DIY wetroom.

So...
The clay waste pipe runs under the slab and cust has a preformed wetroom tray with a linear drain and standard style trap that obviously needs to fit flush

I could extend the soil out the back of house and add a stack with shower drain going through wall and across into stack but would need to be below ground level so cant get my head around dampproofing the shower waste

I could cut up the clay and add a branch to the shower internally?

Hows it done?

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Angle grinder for cutting with stone/diamond disc. Clay to pvc adapter and reduce what you need to I’m guessing?

OP
K

Knappers

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Thanks but is it ok to branch off inside and what about the damp-proof membrane (if there is one) what's the best way to replace/patch.
Would I just leave a cavity in the slab for the trap and are the re-inforced expanded foam trays really strong enough to span the gap?

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Thanks but is it ok to branch off inside and what about the damp-proof membrane (if there is one) what's the best way to replace/patch.
Would I just leave a cavity in the slab for the trap and are the re-inforced expanded foam trays really strong enough to span the gap?
You may be better with a photo of setup. Afaik you can branch off inside, but may need to check building regs doc h. Membrane, I'm not sure. Trap not sure about either, I’m guessing you could, depends on gap size and tray.

OP
K

Knappers

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I had a look at doc h but struggled to find the answers I needed and could prob do with a decent understanding of the whole thing.

That's where I was hoping you guys would step in:)

The existing clay pipe comes up in the inner skin or the external wall, was looking at taking out a section and have branch to shower after adapter and have new pvc come up just inside wall to service toilet.

The pipe-work's not a problem, nor the bedding and back filling but is it ok and how do I maintain the damp proof?
Having the wastepipe set in concrete and getting trap to line up fills me with dread!

OP
K

Knappers

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Setup's simple, toilet back left with clay running back under it, shower drain will be back right.

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I have done loads of them in the past but with a brickie so any making good was done by him. We’ve always bedded them in sand/cement and not really had many problems.

OP
K

Knappers

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I might try exposing some membrane either side and patch with membrane and bitumen.
This isn't a favour and I like the idea of taking a break to ****about with some plastic sheet, afterall the customer's taken all the 'fun' jobs and most of the money out of the job already!

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom