Search the forum,

Discuss Unable to top up pressure on Alpha CD35C Combi Boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Steve Shad

The central heating circuit is slightly low on pressure so I tried to top it up with the built in filling loop. Nothing happens. No mains water gets pushed into the heating return pipe. I disconnected the filling loop on the heating side to test the double-check valve, and mains water comes out, no problem. With the filling loop still disconnected at the heating return pipe end, I opened the isolation valve expecting heating circuit water to come out. It doesn't. I removed this valve to see if the ball is moving and the valve opening correctly. There is no problem with the valve and even then, no water leaks out from the heating circuit.

On this boiler the filling loop heating-side isolation valve is joined directly to a "Heating return valve". This valve takes the copper pipe from the radiator returns on one side, and turns 90 degrees up through the boiler casing. The connector for the filling loop isolation valve is on the side of this. Could it be that this valve is blocked or broken ? I called up Alpha to see if it is a known problem with these valves, but was told they do not normally give any issues.

The heating is working normally despite the slightly low pressure, so the return from radiators into the boiler is free-flowing through this valve.

Do I need to call a plumber to replace this valve, or could it be something else ?

Thanks for any help,

Steve (DIY Plumber)

I’ve had a few lately that are either blocked or have a stuck non return valve

Reply to Unable to top up pressure on Alpha CD35C Combi Boiler in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, We‘be recently moved into a property with a very old Potterton statesman. My husband bled the radiators last night…and since then he’s called all sorts of problems! There is now only one tiny radiator with heat in it. There is no pressure gauge on the boiler , I can’t find a full loop on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just had a "Main Eco Compact" combi boiler installed as the Biasi one failed. It seems to work fine, gives a hot bath, i dont ever use the radiators or kitchen hot tap. (no point in upping the landlords gas bill for no reason) On day 4, the pressure is below 1. I filled it back up to >1, but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock