Search the forum,

Discuss Unable to remove cartridge from tap after unscrewing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLJ

Hello, I would appreciate some advice regarding changing a washer / tap cartridge. The hot tap in question drips so obviously I'd like to fix this.

I was able to turn off the water to the tap, remove the tap handle and also unscrew the cartridge. However it only wants to come out about half an inch once fully unscrewed.

My only guess is that the washer at the base has somehow become wider than the threaded hole and requires brute force to remove it. Understandably I'm worried about doing this in case I break something and a bit gets left/stuck inside the tap. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

N.B. I also tried remove the cartridge from the cold side and I couldn't pull that out either.

I will try to attach some images to help explain.

Thanks

20180304_165539.jpg

20180304_165552.jpg

The washers often do get wider as they are compressed over time.
You can tell by the feel when you try to pull it out, the difference between rubber catching and metal catching is obvious.
If it's rubber then give it a tug.
The washer you replace it with only has to cover the seat of the tap(the flat part you'll see around the hole when looking down into where the cartridge was). People make the mistake of using the biggest washer they can fit in and the result is difficulty removing the works when you need to change it.

The washers often do get wider as they are compressed over time.
You can tell by the feel when you try to pull it out, the difference between rubber catching and metal catching is obvious.
If it's rubber then give it a tug.
The washer you replace it with only has to cover the seat of the tap(the flat part you'll see around the hole when looking down into where the cartridge was). People make the mistake of using the biggest washer they can fit in and the result is difficulty removing the works when you need to change it.

you were right JCPlumb, I had to pull the cartridge out as the washer must have been compressed over time. The washer actually came off inside the tap body as it was a push fit one. I was then able to hook the washer out with a small screwdriver.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unable to remove cartridge from tap after unscrewing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock