Search the forum,

Discuss UK water quality and safety. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
Is there anything going on...my new (youngish) neighbours shop for mineral water by the car load on a weekly basis, one of my best mates has invested in a rather pricey but basic coconut carbon water filtration system because he's worried about heavy metals and he can now apparently taste the difference. There was a post on this forum recently about a filtration system again because of heavy metal concern, has there been a campaign I'm not aware of (probably by the bottled water industry) undermining the general safety of tap water? Most trace elements are beneficial, I've had a basic carbon cartridge filtration system for decades to remove the taste and odour of chlorine that has been enough for me as it also reduces scale formation in my kettle. Still I'm going to get a test kit and see...

Nope not that I’m aware but hasn’t the usa had a problem recently with really bad water and it’s been on the news

The U.K, as far as I know, has and has always had the best and most reliable water quality in the World.
(With the odd exception of very large quantities of treatment chemicals being accidentally added)

Other nations laugh at us because having achieved that quality we then flush toilets and wash cars with it.

The U.S.A are forever having local issues with contamination in older resevoirs.

The utility mains water supply in UK is world leading
I recall a TV documentary about bottled water at least a decade ago, which lab-tested and taste-tested a selection of bottled waters. The winner, IIRC, had a picture of the Lake District on its label. A bit of detective work and they traced this excellent water back to its source. This was literally a tap connected to mains water in a bottling plant just outside Manchester.

This wasn't the brand I'm thinking about, but for the skeptics:

Last edited:
I cannot tell the difference between bottled water and tap water once it has been chilled. I think that's also the case for most people where the water supply is up to standard as they generally are in the UK, and also here in Guernsey. I have to admit I shake my head at those who refuse to drink our tap water. I just put it into a container and keep it in the fridge in summer. In winter or at night time when I can't be bothered to walk far I just drink it straight from the tap, no refrigeration. No filtering in my house either.

I think bottled water companies sometimes do their best to convince people their water is better than what comes out of your taps but I don't believe it. One caveat would be location in the country as I am aware that the properties of the water can change depending on where and how it was collected.

Of course it's down to personal preference but at least where I come from the tap water is great. Especially when you consider the terrible water that so many people have to drink in certain parts of the world.

Reply to UK water quality and safety. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock