Search the forum,

Discuss UK Gov. suspends Fracking for natural Gas in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

centralheatking

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
This is a bit of a brexit type question...but as we all do or have made plenty out of fitting gas units
what do you really think ? If you like..me .I think its a great step..why cause tremors .there is plenty of NG left especially
when we wack in some Hydrogen to make it greener. By the way I am not A Nimby no open toe sandles in my outfit....BIG BOOTS only
..... your turn centralheatking

Should never had been allowed in the first place. Never fitted anything gas in my life and wont.
This is a bit of a brexit type question...but as we all do or have made plenty out of fitting gas units
what do you really think ? If you like..me .I think its a great step..why cause tremors .there is plenty of NG left especially
when we wack in some Hydrogen to make it greener. By the way I am not A Nimby no open toe sandles in my outfit....BIG BOOTS only
... your turn centralheatking

Should never had been allowed in the first place. Never fitted anything gas in my life and wont.
It was approved in USA by Obama and made them energy self suffucient, but in Europe
it is all ready banned in France, Germany and Low Countries. Just as well it was only the
Cuadrilla site near Blackpool...and that caused massive problems...politicians talking sense ...this is very worrying ....chking

It was approved in USA by Obama and made them energy self suffucient, but in Europe
it is all ready banned in France, Germany and Low Countries. Just as well it was only the
Cuadrilla site near Blackpool...and that caused massive problems.. ..chking
Yes I know all that Rob.

Our gas we buy in comes mostly from shale gas. I don't want more of it personally.

The moment we realise that outshore (way out shore) wind farms are the way to go is the moment I switch to the government backing it.

That's free clean energy and would support thousands of jobs and cheaper bills.

Gas and oil need to start being tapered off now. I'd give it 2 more generations tops.

Saudis will still use oil for a few generations more.

USA will still frack. They seem to have such a massive range of opinions and habits state to state they have never been United despite their name.

Wind, waves and sun will exist as long as humans.

Oil coal and gas would too, those just shorten the chance of humanity by massive factors in comparison

Invest your money in anything related to offshore wind or wave technology.

And sell shares in anything oil gas or coal.

It's the way the markets are going. And just the markets going that way can kill an industry. Government subsidies aside.

Fracking has only been suspended, call me a cynic but are the fracking sites in any "difficult" electorial seats for the government?

Dan, none of the UK gas supply comes from shale as far as I'm aware....about 45% from the North Sea and the same again from Europe and 10% from tankers. The only shale gas and oil exporters are the US, Canada, China and Argentina and they'll be too far away to commercially ship or pipe obviously.

Fracking has only been suspended, call me a cynic but are the fracking sites in any "difficult" electorial seats for the government?

Dan, none of the UK gas supply comes from shale as far as I'm aware....about 45% from the North Sea and the same again from Europe and 10% from tankers. The only shale gas and oil exporters are the US, Canada, China and Argentina and they'll be too far away to commercially ship or pipe obviously.
Was on Jeremy Vine that ALL imported gas comes from Shale. And the discussion was would we want the rest of UK's energy to come from it rather than oil. I think. Missed some of the show.

Whether on a tanker or in connecting-lines (heavily guarded by our submarines, their only actual job for Navy and Submarine corps is to protect gas lines and oil rigs lol), it's originally shale I believe.

Oil comes from further afield. Our tankers got held hostage in Iran recently. Retaliation was they blew up some Swedes tanker. British army went to the Straights of Hormuz recently to bring some home.

1572735652359.png

But for gas, our own is north sea. The rest is shale imported. Brought via boat or the EU gas line. Or even russia we have one connected to via somebody or other more EU way. Also shale though.

We buy out oil from Saudis cheap if we sell them weaponry to kill people in jerusalem. (found markings of our own brandings on dirty-bombs we've sold saudis recently - and our oil prices dropped around the same time)

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't think that's true mate, their researchers made a mistake.
Europe generally doesn't frack and we get most of our European gas imports from Norway not the Russian pipeline into Europe especially after Salisbury. Crude oil is a different matter though...

ALL imported Gas originates from shale.
Imported natural gas into the UK comes mainly from Norway (61%) and Qatar (29%), 2015 UK Govt figures. The only countries that produce gas from shale on a commercial scale are Argentina, Canada, China and the USA.

You may be recalling a claim that has been made, which is that UK shale could, potentially, replace all imported natural gas.

To be fair, I was working at the time too and popped my head up to the telly when the segment was on bug wasn't concentrating.

Thinking about it could even been a caller phone in and then they might have been corrected.

I was considering watching it again to find who it was that said it then search their name but I can't be arsed.

I'm certain you will be right mate.

Our land has been raped for coal. Oil won't be a forever thing. But wind will. Sun will die down in a few million years. But our smog will make it die out for us quicker if we keep burning the earth materials.

So we need get more clever as a planet but while we have trumps and Putin's and Jong UN's in power I think we are safe to say it's never going be in our lifetimes and that is a shame. But fact I guess.

Imported natural gas into the UK comes mainly from Norway (61%) and Qatar (29%), 2015 UK Govt figures. The only countries that produce gas from shale on a commercial scale are Argentina, Canada, China and the USA.

You may be recalling a claim that has been made, which is that UK shale could, potentially, replace all imported natural gas.
See my post above mate.

Could have even been a phone in bloke who then maybe got corrected and I missed that bit.

I might whack it on in bed in a bit to see what it was I got wrong from it and who said it.

But then again might just watch another Netflix show lol

Aramco chief and head or OPec a few years ago to the middle east...producers
'the stone age did not end because we ran out of stones...the oil age will
end before we run out of oil...' Sheik Yamani
[automerge]1572792727[/automerge]
To be fair, I was working at the time too and popped my head up to the telly when the segment was on bug wasn't concentrating.

Thinking about it could even been a caller phone in and then they might have been corrected.

I was considering watching it again to find who it was that said it then search their name but I can't be arsed.

I'm certain you will be right mate.

Our land has been raped for coal. Oil won't be a forever thing. But wind will. Sun will die down in a few million years. But our smog will make it die out for us quicker if we keep burning the earth materials.

So we need get more clever as a planet but while we have trumps and Putin's and Jong UN's in power I think we are safe to say it's never going be in our lifetimes and that is a shame. But fact I guess.
From my position...which is now partly in the technical and commercial area of renewable
energy I am not so pessimistic but realistic and never idealogical. The best system/s will
never win. Politics will as always skew the real costs. Business will invest to collect the best returns depending on their shareholders aspirations. Nobody will allow the gas supply network to shut down ..so H2 enhanced NG will happen. The fight for domestic heating and energy supply is far from rolled up. The probable outcome will be Solar and Wind backed up by Nuclear instead of coal for large generation electricity. H2 Ng for domestic heating and fast start up lecky plants to cover possible outage. Domestic consumption
uptake will depend on tariffs and local national legislation. I have written down what I expect to happen over the next 10, 20, 30 years so when I reach 70,80,90 it will be fun to see how far wrong I was. centralheatking you can calculate my age from that puzzle. Remember though I have absolute respect for the man that plants a tree in his 70's he is really doing something for the future of others.

Last edited:
We're supplied not by a Russian gas pipeline but the Russian navy..

I would not break into a sweat. Total UK LNG usage is less than 10% uk energy requirement and a high proportion of that is from Far East. Lng at present is rel. cheap, However it is best to be aware of the domino effect if Germany falls out with Mr Putin then as they get loads of energy from there they will buy it somewhere else. Trump has penalised all companies working on the new trans Russian..European pipeline and work has stopped. We can always frack Blackpool into oblivion if necessary ...centralheatking

Reply to UK Gov. suspends Fracking for natural Gas in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock