Search the forum,

Discuss UFH vs radiators manifolds in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I am doing heavy house renovation and want to have ufh (multizone) at the ground floor and radiators on upper floors.

I want to have consistent controls, with manifolds feeding both the ufh loops and radiators, and the same type thermostats controlling both (depending on the room, the thermostat will actuate different manifold valves - either ufh or radiators).

I plan to have buffer tank with 50C water maintained by a heat pump.

I keep hearing that the systems for radiators and ufh need to be different, but nobody can properly explain why. Is not it just down to temperature? So if I have blending valves on both manifolds (radiators and ufh) set to different temperatures (say, 28 for ufh and 40 for radiators - I can size them to any temperature at this point) - can't I have identical set ups? And have both manifolds fed from the same flow/return connected to the buffer tank?...

Why would the systems be different?

Thanks!

If you are at the early stages and plan it properly, there's no reason why you can do what you have outlined. We often use manifolds for rads on 1st floor, just make sure radiators are sized correctly.

We often use the Heatmiser wiring setup and thermostats to control the lot.

With a buffer does then entail separate pumps for the UFH & Rads?, two pumps in all for the UFH, one to supply HW to the TMV and a manifold mixing pump and one for the Rads? 4 in all, including the primary (boiler) flow circ pump.

The temperature you need for the UFH will be dictated by the maximum for the type of system you are choosing to install, whereas the radiators are, yes, better cooler in terms of heat pump COP, but only if the heat pump is running at a lower temperature. Not sure what advantage there would be in blending the radiator flow temperature down to below that output by the heat pump.

You may need a secondary pump for the UFH manifold to get sufficient flow and pressure for a number of loops of high resistance (16mm and long length) pipework, but if it's a separate flow from the storage tank, I don't really see the problem.

No reason not to run multiple zone valves from a manifold for the radiators. That's basically an S plan plus design and can work quite nicely, although, depending on the house and how you end up using it, such level of complexity MAY be unnecessary.

Reply to UFH vs radiators manifolds in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone I wasn’t sure whether to post this in here or UFH but hopefully I’m posting this in the correct group. I’m in the throes of a full renovation and am currently designing the central heating system, I’m installing radiators (11 or 12 in total) and am going to run each rad from its...
Replies
Views
Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below I think is similar to the TIO Mixing unit. In the unit below, the hot (boiler) water enters from the bottom left, red arrow, up through the "mixing...
Replies
Views
As part of deep house renovation, planning to install wet ufh on the ground floor, and radiators on upper floor. Two bathrooms will have both water based towel warmers and electric ufh, and need dual thermostat to separately control air temp (by running towel warmer) and floor temp. Need...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
I have what appears to be a single pipe system? with microbore manifold downstairs, and I'm assuming another upstairs under floorboards, both with 3 radiators. The photo shows the downstairs manifold, and looking at the way the other radiators are connected, is there any reason why connecting...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock