Search the forum,

Discuss UFH Thermostatic Mixing Valves in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

John.g

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Are there fundamental differences in some of these TMVs?. The attached one, below, would seem to be the better type where a shuttle moves to balance the hot&cold flows, as it increases one flow it decreases the other to keep the mixed flow constant, necessary say in showers etc. I have seen comments where apparently some UFH TMVs just control the flow through the hot flow port to mix with the cold manifold returning water. In view that some have trouble with UFH & rads on together, ie rads being robbed of water by the UFH etc while others have no problems (both not using LLHs or CCTs) wonder if the type of TMV has a bearing on this?.

1674553028354.png

Finally got my hands yesterday on a TMV from a acquaintance many miles away who reckons it has a range of 30C/50C. This a anti-scal valve but the UFH ones will operate exactly the same way IMO. The adjustment screw has to be wound right back (anticlockwise) to ensure the piston valve seats properly and stops any cold water passing.
I hadn't fully understood how the thermostat operates but can see now that as it heats up the plunger in the top is (hydraulically) forced up against the adjusting screw which forces the piston valve downwards to allow cold water to mix with the hot or shut the hot off completely if required, say in the event of cold water supply failure.

Attachments

• INTA TMV.jpg
    INTA TMV.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 5
  • TMV Piston Valve.jpg
    TMV Piston Valve.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 6

Reply to UFH Thermostatic Mixing Valves in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock