Search the forum,

Discuss UFH slight weep from the manifold....simple nip up or a heating engineer? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.
Got a Polypipe UFH manifold (8 years old) and having turned off the UFH a few weeks ago I decided to turn it back on again as the mornings and evenings are just too cold again. Noticed a slight weep in the flow part of the manifold (see pictures - second one is a close up of the joint) enough to catch a maintain in a small plastic pot....for now!! The area is showing signs of a discharge/scale build up too.
I’m not sure how the manifold is constructed, it looks as if there’s a section of 22mm copper pipe connecting the flow manifold to the CH pump in which case I assume it’s a compression joint? In this case I expect I could nip up the nut and possibly stop the weep but I don’t want to then find I’ve made it worse. The boiler seems to be maintaining its pressure for now but anyone know if nipping up this nut is likely to help or if I should get an engineer in to replace the joint between the manifold and the pump that’s showing evidence of discharge/corrosion/scale. Is this discharge normal for a manifold assembly of this age? Interestingly the manifold return side is completely clean (no discharge/corrosion) and is leak free.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• DF10192D-3978-4C75-BADF-61E67FE98B43.jpeg
    DF10192D-3978-4C75-BADF-61E67FE98B43.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 7D9523B9-9532-4FE2-9C61-566BDB5EF731.jpeg
    7D9523B9-9532-4FE2-9C61-566BDB5EF731.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 20
anyone know if nipping up this nut is likely to help
IME, unlikely. Additional 'nipping up' is only good for newly made joints that haven't been tightened correctly.

That sort of seal is usually made by the threads, which need to be packed/wrapped correctly before assembly, or a fibre washer. You may be lucky, but be prepared to have to dismantle the joint, replace any corroded parts, and reassemble correctly.

That joint is goosed. The seal is via an o ring inside the nut connecting to the valve. Just put one together yesterday. If you undo that nut then on the end is a split washer holding the nut onto the shaft. Poor design.

Reply to UFH slight weep from the manifold....simple nip up or a heating engineer? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock