Search the forum,

Discuss UFH - Is this Installed Correctly? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - please help me. I think our UFH is installed incorrectly. Please see pictures (if anyone needs more images I can take them). UFH-Full-View-Labelled - https://ibb.co/3C0MsKD

The problems we have are. The heating takes FOREVER to heat the rooms. The circulation pump is running all the time - even when the UFH is not required. This is both noisy and costly.

The heating for my house is in 3 zones
  • Zone 1 house downstairs - radiators (with TRVs)
  • Zone 2 house upstairs - radiators (with TRVs)
  • Zone 3 extension - underfloor heating (with room stats in all rooms)
Controls:
  1. A room stat in the hallway controls the temperatures of zones 1 and 2
  2. A timer in the utility controls the on/off for all 3 zones.
There are many things I don't understand about all this:
  1. Is the system installed correctly? I've looked at many diagrams that seem to have the pump positioned between the flow and return - not just on the flow pipe.
  2. Why do we have another room stat in the UFH room - it needs to be set really high, just to get the heating working? Shouldn't the control on the overall on/off just be from the main heating timing near the boiler?
  3. If some sort of control (like the room stat in the UFH room) is required - couldn't it be a simple timer to control when the UFH goes on/off?
  4. Why is the pump running ALL the time?

I'm at a loss. Please help, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

You really should be addressing you concerns about your underfloor with your installer.
You don't operate underfloor on a 'on off basis' you typically need thermostats that let you select a backset temperature,
The backset would typically be a maximum of 4°C below desired room temperature.
Some clearer pictures taken further back of your manifold/pump/blender would be useful plus pictures of any other zone valves boiler pipework etc.

You really should be addressing you concerns about your underfloor with your installer.
You don't operate underfloor on a 'on off basis' you typically need thermostats that let you select a backset temperature,
The backset would typically be a maximum of 4°C below desired room temperature.
Some clearer pictures taken further back of your manifold/pump/blender would be useful plus pictures of any other zone valves boiler pipework etc.
Hi
The installer has admitted he's not that good with UFH - hence asking on here.
The on/off comment is meant to refer to the overall on/off of the UFH - i.e. when the zone 3 valve from the boiler (not shown in picture) opens to allow the extension to be heated - eg open at 5pm to close at 11pm. This is not the zone valve shown on the flow pipe in the picture.
Regarding pictures - there is nothing else to show in the room with the manifold in.
I'm not sure what 'backset temperature' means.

So to be clear your only allowing heat into your underfloor between 5 in afternoon and 11 in evening?
Hi
Yes. The zone valve to zone 3 (Ufh) opens at 5pm and closes at 11pm. The operation of the ufh is controlled by everything in the picture after that (with the addition of the ufh room stats).

I'm not surprised your underfloor struggles to warm rooms.
To be clear your underfloor should be switched on 24 hrs a day .
You set it to desired temperature then reduce it by maximum of 4°C when room not in use .
The lower temperature is the backset temperature.
Your room thermostats should be capable of doing that.

I'm not surprised your underfloor struggles to warm rooms.
To be clear your underfloor should be switched on 24 hrs a day .
You set it to desired temperature then reduce it by maximum of 4°C when room not in use .
The lower temperature is the backset temperature.
Your room thermostats should be capable of doing that.
Thanks. We will need to change our room stats to digital to facilitate that - we’d presently need to go round each room and turn them down manually each day.
Nevertheless can you please comment on the position of the pump in our setup?

As you have already identified what you have is not a typical set up.
Pump and blending valve normaly being a interagal part of manifold.
Your probably going to need someone eye's on to see it up and running.
The fact your installer fitted normal room thermostats is not a good indication.
Was the system designed/specified by the company who made the manifold/ blender ect?

I haven’t looked at pictures but each underfloor zone/room needs a programmable room stat.

Reply to UFH - Is this Installed Correctly? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock