Search the forum,

Discuss UFH Installation (Existing Kitchen Floor) in the Water UFH Installers Directory area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to install an UFH zone into the existing floor of my kitchen. Can I channel the existing floor to install the UFH pipe work and back fill with concrete to maintain the same floor level? Also, I’ve seen UFH kits which include a manifold and pump etc Could I just connect TRV radiator valves to the flow and return pipes of the UFH or is the pump required?
TIA

UFH systems are far more complex than you see them. The slab/screed needs to be done properly along with other design conditions.
You will need a manifold, pump and blending valve at a minimum on top.
Probably best you get quotes from two or three local firms.

if you install ufh on a concrete floor unless its well insulated under,ie. 3"/4" of kingspan or sim the heat will go down and be wasted.you also need the right gear to run it correctly ,also you do not JUST run the pipe in and around then back,its a lot more to it then i think you think, get some one in who knows and installs ufh a lot, and they will explain a hell of a lot more then i am willing to type, wish you all the best.

Ok so I’ve done a load of research now and fully understand the need for the pump, blending valve and manifold.
I plan to also install a 2 port valve before the manifold feed, should I also install a 2 port valve to the central heating radiators feed? Otherwise, when the UFH calls for the boiler and the UFH 2 port valve opens the boiler flow will also feed the radiator circuits even if the radiator system stat is off?

Have a look at an overlay system, but ideally I would want floor up and heavily insulated.
And yes you would need multiple 2 ports to give proper control.

Have a look at an overlay system, but ideally I would want floor up and heavily insulated.
And yes you would need multiple 2 ports to give proper control.
Thanks for your reply. I am planning to retrofit a system which uses a concrete milling machine to produce grooves into the top of the concrete to lay the pipe into. I have dug out a portion of the floor to check for insulation and there is 4" kingspan below the concrete slab (Floor construction 2008).
Regarding the 2 port valves, if another 2 port valve is fitted to the flow line for the radiators, what is the situation for when the boiler runs the pump in the case of frost protection? Effectively, both flow lines will be blocked by the valves? Do i need to consider a bypass valve/circuit or will the boiler have an internal bypass facility to protect the pump?

Reply to UFH Installation (Existing Kitchen Floor) in the Water UFH Installers Directory area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock