Search the forum,

Discuss UFH Heating Control Dilemma in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am appealing for some advice and direction on replacing the heating control system in my house. Ill try to describe as best I can. Looking for a bit of info as not having much luck with trades.

Oil Boiler operated by a Honeywell Smartfit Programmer. Not sure if its Y or S but controls heating and hot water. Hot water is unvented cylinder. Heating is UFH upstairs and downstairs (separate loops). Each heating loop is controlled by its own pump which can be set on timer (Horstamann 3 channel). Each room has its own thermostat which presumably actives the valve on the respective manifolds when calls for heat.

I am aware that Smartfit has been completely discontinued so will struggle for parts. However, I have convinced myself that the whole control system is inefficient for reasons listed below:

The master programmer for the boiler has an internal thermostat which I have to set artificially high in order for the boiler to keep running otherwise no hot water gets into the ufh loops regardless of whether the room stat is calling for heat.

Because the pumps on the UFH have to be timed, they are constantly running for set periods rather than when required.

Ultimately I believe this is resulting in a lot of oil and electricity and oil being used unnecessarily.

I hope that someone on this forum might be able to help.

Many thanks in advance

Reply to UFH Heating Control Dilemma in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock