Search the forum,

Discuss UFH + heat pump - is it connected correctly? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we had UFH installed dowstairs in our house recently, and I'm not 100% sure that it's connected correctly. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the diagrams and tell me if what the plumber did makes sense. The house is heated with an A2W Samsung/Joule heatpump. The buffer cylinders (1) are located upstairs. Originally we had rads in the whole house, upstairs and downstairs. When we installed the UFH downstairs, all the downstairs rads were removed and capped off, except for a towel warmer in downstairs toilet. Here's how the system looked before:
before.jpg

And here is how it looks now:
after.png

What I'm concerned about specifically:
1) The plumber didn't install an UFH circulation pump (17), even though the heat pump manual shows there should normally be one. His explanation was that heat pumps operate at lower temperatures (max. 45C) so there's no need for a separate pump and valve at the manifold. Is that 100% correct?
2) There's no automatic bypass valve on the UFH flow (26). Is that correct? What happens if for some reason all actuators are closed but the zone valve for zone 1 is open and the heating circulating pump (16) turns on?
3) The downstairs rads were removed and capped off, but the old flow and return pipes are still connected to the rest of the system, looks like the plumber teed off the flow to the UFH from the Zone 1 flow, instead of completely disconnecting flow to the downstairs rads and redirecting it to the new UFH flow. Why would you do it this way?
4) We left one radiator downstairs, a towel warmer in a toilet. The plumber branched off the flow to that radiator from the UFH flow, before the manifold, and connected the return from that radiator after the return from the manifold. Is that not going to mess up the balance on that whole downstairs circuit? Won't all the pressure just go into the towel warmer, bypassing the UFH pipework and leaving it with very low flow?

Excuse me if anything isn't clear, it's the first time I'm dealing with any plumbing work :)

Do you have a pump at 9b for the ufh ?

On the heat pump system ideally you want to keep the room ufh stat 1-2 dc above the heat pump room stat eg the ufh room stats don’t turn off before the main heat pump thermostat, the ufh ones ideally are only there to stop the room overheating

Do you have a pump at 9b for the ufh ?

On the heat pump system ideally you want to keep the room ufh stat 1-2 dc above the heat pump room stat eg the ufh room stats don’t turn off before the main heat pump thermostat, the ufh ones ideally are only there to stop the room overheating
Yes, I have 9b. For controls I have Drayton Wiser with an UFH strip and 3 room stats downstairs (one for each UFH zone).

Yes, I have 9b. For controls I have Drayton Wiser with an UFH strip and 3 room stats downstairs (one for each UFH zone).

With pumps ?

No, doesn't look like there's a separate pump at 9b for the UFH, there's only that single heating zone circulating pump at 16

Any chance you could post a picture up of the Samsung cylinder unit and ufh manifold

Reply to UFH + heat pump - is it connected correctly? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock