Search the forum,

Discuss UFH boiler call problem in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 126459

Hi,

I have a strange problem in my recently purchased property. I hope someone can shed some light on it.

In a nutshell, when a thermostat causes the underfloor heating pump to run, the boiler does not provide heat unless it happens to be switched on manually or by the boiler timer.

It is not an option to leave the CH set to permanently on at the boiler time – although there is no heating other than the, UFH, the boiler pump runs constantly in this state.

For background, it's an 8-year old pressurised system comprising:

• a Baxi Megaflo 2 System Compact GA Range condensing boiler (with integral pump), controlled by a basic Newlec timer
  • a hot water cylinder with expansion tank with a simple thermostat
  • an Uponor water underfloor heating system with a 9-way manifold and pump controlled by an Uponor I-36 timer and C-35 controller
  • 6 x simple Uponor manual dial hardwired thermostats

I've had a look at the UFH control panel and there is no wiring from the boiler relay (and it won't be easy to add, as the UFH manifold is far from the boiler in the property).

Is it possible for the configuration at the boiler to automatically detect the flow when the UFH pump starts, without a wired connection? And if so, any idea why it isn't doing so?

Many thanks for any steer!

Andrew

Hi ShaunCorbs, SimonG & Basher – many thanks, all, for the suggestions.

Basher – that sounds like the way to go if possible as the cable route would require a lot of drywall cutting and repairs etc.. Any suggestions for suitable components, ideally that could simply be added to the existing kit?

(I would ideally like to upgrade to Heatmiser kit, which I know can do this, but that's a pricey job replacing lots of components, and they seem forever out of stock of the appropriate thermostats.)

Basher – that sounds like the way to go if possible as the cable route would require a lot of drywall cutting and repairs etc.. Any suggestions for suitable components, ideally that could simply be added to the existing kit?

(I would ideally like to upgrade to Heatmiser kit, which I know can do this, but that's a pricey job replacing lots of components, and they seem forever out of stock of the appropriate thermostats.)
This is an example:
The above components would need to be housed in suitable enclosures.

Or this "mains-link" solution (which has been suggested before on this forum)

Reply to UFH boiler call problem in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock