Search the forum,

Discuss Two radiators not heating up after bleeding. Flushing of system required? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello there all mighty and knowledgeable central heating warriors!

I have two radiators in my duplex flat which fail to heat up. One is a large vertical radiator in the living room, the other is a small ladder style radiator not too far away in a downstairs toilet so both on the same floor. Both radiators not working are very near to other radiators which are fully heating up correctly. I bled all the radiators in the flat and still nothing. I had a plumber call out who tried a number of things but failed to get them working again, he stated that there must be a blockage somewhere in the system and I would probably need a full flushing of the system. He didn't seem at all keen to do the job, almost said he didn't want the job as too much hassle. Said that as my flat isn't on the ground floor, (first floor duplex), it would be a difficult and messy job. I generally didn't really understand much of what he was saying but the bottom line is that my two radiators still don't work and I would love some advice on exactly what you think I should ask of a plumber for this job to be completed successfully and a rough idea of what it might cost. Thanks for any help or advice with this, much appreciated.

Hi, I'm not a plumber but I'm in the process of sorting out 3 radiators in my loft that didn't get warm. I tried all the obvious things such as taking the radiators outside and flushing them through and changing the thermostatic valves as the old ones appeared to be stuck, but to my surprise none of this resolved the issue. I assumed there was a blockage, probably sludge as the flow in the loft will have the least pressure and so I tried turning off all radiators to force more pressurised water to a single problem radiator, but again to no avail. In the end I have had to disconnect pipes and force mains water through and this has cleared them. Given the amount of sludge in these pipes I'm considering using Fernox DS40 cleaner, which is a strong acid cleaner and which should reduce limescale and sludge. Based on reviews I have seen I regret not trying this first and suspect this may be something that might help unblock your pipes, if they are indeed blocked with sludge.

Hi, I'm not a plumber but I'm in the process of sorting out 3 radiators in my loft that didn't get warm. I tried all the obvious things such as taking the radiators outside and flushing them through and changing the thermostatic valves as the old ones appeared to be stuck, but to my surprise none of this resolved the issue. I assumed there was a blockage, probably sludge as the flow in the loft will have the least pressure and so I tried turning off all radiators to force more pressurised water to a single problem radiator, but again to no avail. In the end I have had to disconnect pipes and force mains water through and this has cleared them. Given the amount of sludge in these pipes I'm considering using Fernox DS40 cleaner, which is a strong acid cleaner and which should reduce limescale and sludge. Based on reviews I have seen I regret not trying this first and suspect this may be something that might help unblock your pipes, if they are indeed blocked with sludge.

Hey thanks, really appreciate the response, I'm willing to try anything at this point so will definitely give this a go. thanks again.

Be aware that with any chemical cleaner you need flow, even if it is minimal, for the product to work ( the chemical cleaner has to have repeated contact with the sludge / partial blockage to take it into solution). Once flow is lost, you either need increased pressure, reverse flow or physical removal of the blockage to restore the system.

If a system has only recently blocked, it is probably a small blockage that has built up at a restriction in the pipework - valve / pipe diameter change et al.

Not always too difficult to clean and remove it yourself, but the risk of damaging carpets and decoration et al with filthy water is high.

If its ferric sludge, go along the radiators and gently knock them with a rubber mallet
and the pipes where you can see them also a really decent strong magnet rolled up and down the rads and along the pipes can certainly break crud up. be carefull not to overload your filter so check it while doing it as you dont want the crud getting into your boiler hex. There is no substitute for preventative maintenance and accurate
inhibitor dosing on a regular basis to avoid massive blocks. centralheatking

Reply to Two radiators not heating up after bleeding. Flushing of system required? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock