Search the forum,

Discuss Turning off the water in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

If I turn off the water at the stopcock in the house to work on the kitchen sink and lets say there is no isolation valve then how does turning of the water work. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question. So if I have a cold mains feed which branches with one branch going to the kitchen sink and the other to sink B. When I open the kitchen sink cold tap does all the water have to drain from the other branch (the one going to sink B) or is it only the water in the kitchen sink branch that will drain as the other branch will be held by a vacum (I am thinking thumb over a pipe with water in it that when turned the water stays where it is).

Also, I have an unvented system what happens to the hot water? I believe that the water in the cylinder will come out by the force of the cold feed into the cylinder and this is turned off so does that mean that only the hot in the pipe from the cylinder to the kitchen sink tap will be drained?

Finally, do I need to open other taps apart from the kitchen sink if I am only working on the kitchen sink?

Thank you

Yes turning off your stopcock should isolate both hot and cold supplies for your setup. Depending on what work you’re doing, you might need to drain all other outlets, so bathroom for example. In answer to your question, it stops any more water coming in.

Thank you. The highest outlet is the upstairs bathroom sink the lowest is the kitchen sink/bath downstairs. The house is 2 floors so 'I guess' that would mean the outlet that I am working on (lets say utility room tap downstairs) + something upstairs

thanks again

Reply to Turning off the water in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock