Search the forum,

Discuss Turned off wrong valve, now hot water won't work in basement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

New homeowner. I was trying to prep for winter by draining the outside hose. I thought I found the right valve, turned it off and ran the water outside. The water didn't stop flowing so I figured it was the wrong valve. Went back inside to find that the shower head in my basement washroom was dripping. Realized that the hot water in the shower and sink both weren't working, only cold water. I'm pretty sure I've set the valves back to where they were, but no luck. I live in a very small town so can't get a plumber to come in and look at it right away. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to try and fix it until I can get a plumber in?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 23
All the valves are open in your picture except the one that’s capped off / not going anywhere

Which valve did you turn off ?

All the valves are open in your picture except the one that’s capped off / not going anywhere

I turned off the valve beside that (the one that's capped off). I turned it back on once I realized it wasn't the right one. I figure that since these are older pipes, that I may have dislodged or broken something by turning it on and off.

With the taps that arnt working open try opening and closing the valve a few times if you see / hear water coming out of the taps leave it like that / position

Shaun, have you seen the second image? Those ones look to be closed as the handle is perpendicular to the pipe run (I can't actually read the writing on the handle though).

When the shower is turned off, it just drips cold water as if it's leaking. When I turn on both the shower and sink faucet (hot), they both run cold water on very low pressure. If the sink faucet is turned on by itself (hot), it doesn't run water at all (unless the shower is turned on as well). I've turned all the valves on and off with the shower and sink faucet on, but no luck. I don't hear water running through the pipes. This seems to have started because I was trying to drain the outside hose which is on the same side of the house as the washroom (the pipes are probably connected), maybe something just busted due to the pressure of the hose being turned on (it hasn't been turned on for over a year since there were tenants previously living in the house who didn't bother with outdoor watering).

In the second image, one of the valves is closed because it's not attached to anything. If I turn it on, it spouts warm water out of the opening.

I figure that since these are older pipes, that I may have dislodged or broken something by turning it on and off.
I'd need a better photograph to be sure but it looks to me as though the valve you messed with in the closed position. Perhaps the handle is slipping on the shaft not turning it or you need to open it further.

I'd need a better photograph to be sure but it looks to me as though the valve you messed with in the closed position. Perhaps the handle is slipping on the shaft not turning it or you need to open it further.

The lever on the right side seems to be somewhat bent unless it's an illusion in the photograph. Whenever that has happened to me (last time was on a 2" water main) it usually means the valve is going wrong and can jam in any position inside, including jammed closed.

As above it could be a faulty valve with winter coming it pays to have everything working as it should in case of a emergency , maybe time to get a plumber to do a repair we are all plumbers, heating engineers, or proffesionals working in the trade on here these jobs are our bread and butter usually in and out in a few hours sometimes even quicker with everything sorted . Regards Kop

As above it could be a faulty valve with winter coming it pays to have everything working as it should in case of a emergency , maybe time to get a plumber to do a repair we are all plumbers, heating engineers, or proffesionals working in the trade on here these jobs are our bread and butter usually in and out in a few hours sometimes even quicker with everything sorted . Regards Kop

At this point, that's what I'm assuming the problem is (faulty valve). I called the plumber, he'll be coming by this week. Thankfully it's such a small town, that he's pretty much the only plumber around here, so he's worked on these pipes before and knows the layout well enough.

Thank you, everyone!

Reply to Turned off wrong valve, now hot water won't work in basement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock