Search the forum,

Discuss Trying to get rid of an airlock in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Every year or so, I seem to need to clear the gunk out of my kitchen sink waste pipes, which also take the waste feeds from the washing machine and dishwasher (see attached photos), which I do, after advice from a plumber, by removing the trap under the sink and sucking out the water and gunk with a Vax (whilst blocking off the washing machine waste pipe behind the cupboard).
It works, and when everything is connected back up, the sink drains at an acceptable rate, and the washing machine doesn't cause the waste pipe to overflow when draining.
However, this year, I have done exactly the same thing, but I now have an airlock somewhere past the trap, as the sink drains really slowly, and it burps for a while after it has finally cleared. I have removed and reattached the trap 3 times to see if I can clear it, but it stubbornly remains. If I release the connector on the horizontal pipe leading to the back of the cupboard, air hisses, water drips, and the sink drains quickly; but as soon as I tighten it back up, the air lock returns.
Does anybody have a suggestion as to how I might clear it permanently?

Attachments

• 20191102_164217.jpg
    20191102_164217.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20191102_164229.jpg
    20191102_164229.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 24
Please fit jubilee clips to the washing m/c hose before it disconnects and floods the floor with messy water ;)
Have you tried snaking it?

Your problem is your waste pipework is having to cope with to much waste going down it washing machine , dishwasher, and kitchen sink waste all depositing debris into the pipe run and eventually blocking it how long is this run to drain ? over 3m - you could use a chemical digestant to clean the pipe but be aware these are often acid based , I favour a more gentle way washing soda add it to your washing machine detergent tray and dishwasher if you wish and set the washing machine program to the hottest setting this not only cleans your washing machine it often breaks down and flushes through any debris keeping pipes clear do this regularly to keep things flowing . Regards kop

This morning, I decided to 'Vax' it again via the horizontal pipe after the trap, and there was a thumb sized lump of clotted washing powder in the grey water. After connecting it all back up, the sink was draining freely with no siphoning or prolonged burping, so I ran the washing machine and as soon as it started draining the vertical waste pipe started overflowing...
I then removed the back of the cupboard, and undid the trap to see if it was clogged, but it was really clean, so I decided to 'snake and Vax' the waste pipe from that entry point, and although there were no noticeable lumps in the grey water, the washing machine is now draining freely as well.
How long it will last, I don't know, we switched to washing powder about a year ago, as I was told that the liquids were causing the pipe to gunk up and get blocked, but the powder seems to be far worse, as I have had to 'Vax' the pipe about 3 times in the past 6 months.
[automerge]1572793982[/automerge]
Please fit jubilee clips to the washing m/c hose before it disconnects and floods the floor with messy water ;)
The grey hose on the right is the dishwasher's, and it has been like that for at least the past 8 years, however, I have taken your advice and now secured it with a jubilee clip, although knowing my luck, that will have disturbed it and it will probably come off the next time I run the dishwasher.

In my own domestic experience and customers the recent availability of green low
temperature washing powders etc for washing machines and dishwashers has resulted in
a greater number of blocked and restricted small bore waste pipes...the emulsified waste
at low temperature re forms quickly before it gets to the 4 inch drains, and will block normally well performing 11/2 waste. After all detergents are only mini magnetic particles which attract the dirt and carry it away and they work best at higher temperatures. We are looking at a new drain and jetting business for one of my sons...as he has a driving licence now...we have registered
Mr Poo....'blocked drain or loo, what do you do, pick up your phone and call Mr Poo'
centralheatking

temperature washing powders etc for washing machines and dishwashers has resulted in
a greater number of blocked and restricted small bore waste pipes

Do you think the liquids are any less likely to cause clogging, if we mainly wash at 30/40'C ?
It seems that the monthly 60'C wash seemed to have keep the pipe clearer for longer with the liquid.

Do you think the liquids are any less likely to cause clogging, if we mainly wash at 30/40'C ?
It seems that the monthly 60'C wash seemed to have keep the pipe clearer for longer with the liquid.
Yes that is my opinion, low temp detergents re form much more quickly and cause premature blockages. Maybe the answer is to run every so many washes at higher temperature. centralheatking

What's this re forming mini magnetic you speak of Rob
For me liquid or gel tabs are better and plenty of water of course.
I've just brought a super doper water saving wash machine but the outlet is only 2ft away

I hate the washing powder especially as people seem to be using much cooler washes now, it seems to produce that powder gunk. liquid washing is the way forward.
agree, we have gone to properties which have had no probs ever or for years and when they get it sorted its hard lumps of reformed detergent powder....we know the difference between poo, fat and
detergent its quite obvious ...low temp powder causes endless trouble...my sons make money out of it so its happy days
chking

Reply to Trying to get rid of an airlock in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am installing a sink in utility room. Washing machine waste already exists and is the verical pipe with the flexib pipe from the machine poked down the top and a with a u bend at the bottow going directly to outside drain. Is it OK to put a tee joint into the verical pipe and join the sink...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Hello all, The kitchen sink in the property we are renting drains really slowly, and I was hoping to remedy or alleviate this with some educated advice. In addition to draining slowly, the sink also back fills when the washing machine pumps water out. I have had the initial undersink work...
Replies
Views
This is a picture of my sons sink plumbing. The yellow arrow goes to the dishwasher and the red arrow goes to the washing machine. There is a problem with waste water going from the sink, into the washing machine I guess because the pipe, right on the elbow isn't high enough. I have tried to...
Replies
Views
I have moved our washing machine into the garage but there isn’t a drain for the waste pipe. The attached image is of the waste pipe with the condensate pipe from the boiler, can I use a tee join and connect the washing machine pipe? The pipe leads outside and is saddled to the main waste pipe.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock