Search the forum,

Discuss TRV heads, and linking to wall thermostat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

mgw

I have looked at a range of TRV heads costing between £10 and £60 and it seems until you buy them, you don't really know what you are getting for your money. They all use batteries, they all allow multi temperatures to be set depending on time of day and day of week.

Some are direct entry only.
Some use bluetooth and can be grouped.
Some use a hub.
Some use wifi.
Some do not connect to the wall thermostat, some simply follow the wall thermostat, and some tell the wall thermostat to run the boiler.
The features include boost, window open, and some can be used nearly anywhere in the world, as to why when in Turkey I want to alter the heating in Wales I have not worked out! I want to be able to turn the heating in each room or group of rooms on and off, without having to bend down and read the display on the valve head, but don't really want to be able to control rooms even one mile away.

9 heads already fitted, there are 16 radiators so will likely need some more, at least 2 more, maybe 3 but which? At the moment Nest Gen 3 fitted in the hall, and energenie heads fitted hall, dinning room and living room. Kitchen and upstairs have cheaper eqiva fitted. So bathroom, shower room and flat still with non timed TRV heads.

OK if not linked then although temperature increased programmed nothing will happen until boiler fires up, but the linked ones are no different, all being linked does is when I turn dial on wall thermostats the TRV heads change temperature setting by same amount, so is it worth buying the more expensive types.

New system or existing ?

New system or existing ?
Existing, in hind sight and hind sight is easy, Nest was not the best option, but now I have Nest and 4 TRV heads to work with it, really have to stick with it, there is nearly £400 already spent, so it's either another Energenie or some stand alone, if Energenie had the open window feature then it would be another Energenie TRV head, but leaning towards another couple of eqiva heads.

But thought it is worth asking in case there is some thing I have missed.

Yesterday I travelled to a Homebase shop to buy very cheap Energenie Mihome stuff, it seems they bought it in as new line then within a couple of weeks decided to drop it, rather a odd report can't quite work out if some thing to do with Homebase or some thing to do with supplier?

Since already got the stuff for me worth buying more, I bought light switches so I can turn on lights from phone to see way to front or back door, however it is a little worrying as only just fitted Nest and as far as I am aware only TRV head to work with Nest is the Energenie?

Seems to still be loads of stuff on sale else where, still on sale in Screwfix for example, but have I bought a discontinued product? and will Nest now market their own TRV head?

Ask yourself: How long will it take me to recover the £400 capital outlay in reduced fuel bills?
I have, if you never turn the boiler off, and it cycles all the time, I would guess it would use a lot of oil, however one would be daft to do that, there would be some human intervention.

So why install controls, the answer is I am not into walking around the outside of the house up and down a flight of stairs. I would prefer not to need to leave the house to turn heating off/on.

So the next question with just two wires between the control and the boiler, pumps, and valves, how can one control both DHW and CH, the only way is some form of electronic control, ASii, Probus, and many other systems allow the control, but easier to use some thing designed for central heating, so I selected Nest Gen 3.

Getting closer, however a thermostat in the hall, kitchen or the utility room is not really a good location, so some link to the rooms actually used not simply walked through was required, this was done using Energenie TRV heads.

Up to this point the money spent is not to save oil, but to save my walking back and to in order to manually control it.

So what we are talking about is not simple saving of money, but also making it easy, and keeping the rooms to heat required.

Reply to TRV heads, and linking to wall thermostat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock