Search the forum,

Discuss Trouble with bleeding very old radiators in rented accommodatio in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I am looking to bleed the radiators in my rented flat as winter is now starting to kick in and want things to work as efficiently as possible.

Some advice says use a flat head screwdriver but there is not a groove in them to be able to use one. So I bought a radiator bleed key from screwfix but the thing doesn’t fit. The recess in the radiators in approximately 1cm in diameter.

I have a feeling even if I got one in there they wouldn’t move - as the radiators are old and rusted in parts.

Are these kinds of radiators unusual in have such a small recess/bleed valve area?

Also one has two valves and the other has one….

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Attachments

• EFCCFC5C-013E-4064-8A73-F5BB7DEC5574.jpeg
    EFCCFC5C-013E-4064-8A73-F5BB7DEC5574.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 547A826F-8DCD-40C1-99EB-E6863A3A07F8.jpeg
    547A826F-8DCD-40C1-99EB-E6863A3A07F8.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 12
It's quite possible/likely that if you do manage to open the bleed valve it won't seal properly when you try to close it. I suggest you consult your landlord before touching it as you may end up needing a plumber to replace the radiator.

As above.
Are you saying the key you have won't fit because the barrel of the key (outside diameter) is bigger than the radiator recess, or is it that the 'square' you need to turn is bigger than the square in the key?

I believe 30 or so years ago, radiator bleed screws could be imperial sizes, so a set of clock keys should work. Somewhere between nos. 8 and 12. You can buy a clock key 'spider' with a few of those sizes.

I just use a pair of needle nosed pliers 🤪, but probably not advisable seeing the condition of the rad.

That looks more like a bung that a bleed screw, either the original failed or ,,
Have you looked along the back of the radiator panel, the bleed screw may be recessed in there.

May be similar to this below,

DSC_0022[1].JPG

But if not, there is a larger key available, but as it's a rented property I'd contact the landlord as if you end up snapping it or it not sealing the Landlord may and try and charge you for a new radiator and the cost of fitting it.

One radiator has 2 valves as it's 2 radiators joined together, both sections need bleeding.

If buying the one below check that it has the correct size you need as they vary as to which sizes the tool has.

Last edited:
As above.
Are you saying the key you have won't fit because the barrel of the key (outside diameter) is bigger than the radiator recess, or is it that the 'square' you need to turn is bigger than the square in the key?

I believe 30 or so years ago, radiator bleed screws could be imperial sizes, so a set of clock keys should work. Somewhere between nos. 8 and 12. You can buy a clock key 'spider' with a few of those sizes.

I just use a pair of needle nosed pliers 🤪, but probably not advisable seeing the condition of the rad.
Thanks for the input, Basher.

It’s the barrel of the key that is stopping it getting at the square. Tried pliers but I think it is fused shut.

I think I’ll leave it be.

The toilet leaks. There’s mould in the bathroom and hallway. The thermostat doesn’t work. Might just be simpler to move out.

Thanks again

It's quite possible/likely that if you do manage to open the bleed valve it won't seal properly when you try to close it. I suggest you consult your landlord before touching it as you may end up needing a plumber to replace the radiator.
Thanks, Chuck. I appreciate your response mate

That looks more like a bung that a bleed screw, either the original failed or ,,
Have you looked along the back of the radiator panel, the bleed screw may be recessed in there.

May be similar to this below,

View attachment 79039

Hello, Snowhead.

Thanks for your reply. Checked along the back but can’t find anything like that.

The only thing I can find that looks anything like a valve (and the key fits) I are these (photo attached). But it only features at the base on the 2 larger ones. Haven’t turned anything before I know what it is!

Attachments

• 15E80D4D-BC1D-4CCE-9B65-C294792D946F.jpeg
    15E80D4D-BC1D-4CCE-9B65-C294792D946F.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 3B709E2B-ED7B-4F5D-B6AB-FBE2908AA282.jpeg
    3B709E2B-ED7B-4F5D-B6AB-FBE2908AA282.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2D9E57A7-3163-4514-A814-EC3AAC49C2D5.jpeg
    2D9E57A7-3163-4514-A814-EC3AAC49C2D5.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DE984352-F5C7-492A-A1FC-B8E5238C749E.jpeg
    DE984352-F5C7-492A-A1FC-B8E5238C749E.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Trouble with bleeding very old radiators in rented accommodatio in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock