Search the forum,

Discuss triton t80z had for 2.5 years now no hot water, low pressure light comes on when turn on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, just a homeowner who can decorate but that's about it. Have read a few forums about the triton t80z 9.5kw cold feed only and have ordered a new one as 5 of us use the shower every day so recon the heating filament might be knackered. I live in a hard water area. cold water in bathroom taps and kitchen seem as normal with regard to pressure. the low pressure light is off but as soon as I turn shower on the low pressure light comes on and just cold water comes out...daughter then tells me it started sputtering hot and cold the night before when she used it (thanks for telling me lol ) so sorry for war and peace but my question is this, if it is low pressure feeding the shower unit then wouldn't the low pressure light be on all the time does anyone know please ? e.g low pressure light wouldn't just come on when powering on ? Thanks if anyone can help/knows and sorry if similar been posted ;-)

The low pressure light will or should illuminate if you have low pressure or if the heating can is "full" of lime or if there is a restriction in the shower head due to limescale or if the hose is kinked. I would first remove the hose + showerhead and run the shower and see if the light illuminates, if it does, put the power selector switch to position 1 or 1/2 power or however its described and keep turning the temperature control knob clockwise towards its hottest position and observe the light, and see if it goes out.
You can also do a bucket test re flow, turn the temperature control to its coldest setting and then measure the amount captured in the bucket over say a 1 min period and you can calculate the flowrate, it should not be < 6 to 8 LPM.

Also, if the shower low pressure light is wired up internally like my Mira Sport then even with a perfectly good operating shower the light will illuminate very briefly for a second or two when the start button is pressed. If the TCO (thermal cut out) has operated or has failed then this light will not illuminate even briefly.

Blimey thats 45,000 litres of water maybe more all heated up from cold ....45 ton of water
The Uk Cruelty to Triton Showers Association have been informed ..expect a visit by an inspector. Just bang another on and send Triton a msg. they might give you a new one FOC
on this performance as its a great advert esp.in a limescale area ...
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
God knows how many Kw you have gobbled up and at what cost
ahhhh maybe someone else on UKPF can hazzard a guess, maybe later ..its Friday and M6 is beckoning uck

Last edited:
I would say time for a new unit

The low pressure light will or should illuminate if you have low pressure or if the heating can is "full" of lime or if there is a restriction in the shower head due to limescale or if the hose is kinked. I would first remove the hose + showerhead and run the shower and see if the light illuminates, if it does, put the power selector switch to position 1 or 1/2 power or however its described and keep turning the temperature control knob clockwise towards its hottest position and observe the light, and see if it goes out.
You can also do a bucket test re flow, turn the temperature control to its coldest setting and then measure the amount captured in the bucket over say a 1 min period and you can calculate the flowrate, it should not be < 6 to 8 LPM.

Also, if the shower low pressure light is wired up internally like my Mira Sport then even with a perfectly good operating shower the light will illuminate very briefly for a second or two when the start button is pressed. If the TCO (thermal cut out) has operated or has failed then this light will not illuminate even briefly.

Thanks John. I removed the hose and shower head, the low pressure light turns on briefly then goes out yet the water does not get hot on either power setting ( I believe the low pressure light being on earlier was due to the washing machine being on aswell) the water is not coming out at any great pressure so I suspect the heating element is scaled up or blown somehow...I'm gonna replace the unit tomorrow and post on here how it went .

I wouldn't just bin the old one after removing it, if it is the element that has failed due to limescale, then the same thing will happen again in 2 years or so, it might be worth checking out what has actually failed at your leisure and you then can have a spare shower to replace your new one again in 2 years or so.
You might consider doing that flow test before removing the old shower, it will give you some idea of performance, my shower flows 8 LPM at full flow but the low flow/pressure doesn't operate until ~ a flow rate of 4.5 LPM IF the mains pressure is restricted to test for this which is fair enough as a 9.5kw shower will still give a 30C temp rise and a showering temp of 40C from cold water at 10C.

Look the existing unit is u/s whats a new one ...peanuts and will be a like for like it will be a direct replacement..its a no brainer toolstation or screwfix are practically giving them away and a 10 year old could do it...turn off water turn off sparky switch marked shower the one with the fat cable in the consumer unit ..check u have turned off correct trip...replace test for leaks , turn power back on stand back and see if it goes bang if not send your mother in law in for 1st shower just to check continuity ...easy hey
Do let us know how you get on tho ..feedback is kind

Rob that only has each shower at 1 1/2 minutes so it’s actually loads more!

Agree - just buy a new one
So it might be 150 metric tonnes + can you do the kw thing
say from 10c to 60c plus I will have a go later it will be awesome
Rob. its watts per deg c per cubic volume of water...but me and my boys are Down the Pub in a mo...and guess what its my round yet again...as always...1st beers on a Friday its POETS day after all centralheatking
and its vans left in the yard back to back have a good weekend

Last edited:
Blimey thats 45,000 litres of water maybe more all heated up from cold ..45 ton of water
The Uk Cruelty to Triton Showers Association have been informed ..expect a visit by an inspector. Just bang another on and send Triton a msg. they might give you a new one FOC
on this performance as its a great advert esp.in a limescale area .
God knows how many Kw you have gobbled up and at what cost
ahhhh maybe someone else on UKPF can hazzard a guess, maybe later ..its Friday and M6 is beckoning uck

More useless? info.
A 9.5 kw shower running for 25 mins/day, (5per.x5min shower) with a flow rate of 4.5 LPM giving a showering temperature of 40C from 10C will use 41,000 litres of water and consume 1,445 kwh. (per annum)

More useless? info.
A 9.5 kw shower running for 25 mins/day, (5per.x5min shower) with a flow rate of 4.5 LPM giving a showering temperature of 40C from 10C will use 41,000 litres of water and consume 1,445 kwh. (per annum)
Thats a great start thank you , so its 41 tons of water and 1,445 kw per year I will have to look out my utility bills over the weekend , we all know nat gas is cheaper but this is stacking up scary ...centralheatking...so we are heading into the real price of using an electric shower ...lecky and water inc.. intresting thank you
I suppose its sell ur wife and daughter time because they use up water and heat...boys are generally smelly god knows I have 4boy
my of my own then 4 step boys and 2 step daughters and ...it runs on ...its the women that cost money except when the boys crash the cars whuch is often I should have got a big tv years ago ..chking

Last edited:
Yes but electric showers by their very nature are mean and lean because they are instantaneous water heaters so the maximum comfortable shower temperature flow rate is dictated to by their power, ironically one can have a measly 2 or 3 kw immersion heating a HW cylinder over a long period and then have a power shower flowing anything between 10 and 20 LPM, oil or gas boilers can of course heat the water as well at ~ 1/3rd cost but the operating cost per unit of time for a electric shower flowing 4.5 LPM is very similar to a gas/oil fired boiler heated power shower flowing 12/13 LPM., of course we all know which shower children/teenagers would choose.

You might be interested in a few very simple calculations that i have carried around in my head for decades now for energy usage etc.

From Flow:
Kwh = LPM x 60 x deltaT / 860 or any variation of this.

From volume:
Kwh = Litres x deltaT /860.

Thats a great start thank you , so its 41 tons of water and 1,445 kw per year I will have to look out my utility bills over the weekend , we all know nat gas is cheaper but this is stacking up scary ...centralheatking...so we are heading into the real price of using an electric shower ...lecky and water inc.. intresting thank you
I suppose its sell ur wife and daughter time because they use up water and heat...boys are generally smelly god knows I have 4boy
my of my own then 4 step boys and 2 step daughters and ...it runs on ...its the women that cost money except when the boys crash the cars whuch is often I should have got a big tv years ago ..chking
So roughly calculated this is costing inc. water £400 per year...or you have to earn £600 to pay tax. centralheatking

Yes, and that's only assuming 23 LPD/person@40C, the "average" medium user is ~ 50 if the attachment is anything to go by.

Attachments

• Hot Water Consumption.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
Thanks John. I removed the hose and shower head, the low pressure light turns on briefly then goes out yet the water does not get hot on either power setting ( I believe the low pressure light being on earlier was due to the washing machine being on aswell) the water is not coming out at any great pressure so I suspect the heating element is scaled up or blown somehow...I'm gonna replace the unit tomorrow and post on here how it went .
Thanks all, apologies for late reply, bought new unit and works a treat. Will test old at later date as multimeter packed up....re. cost calculations, will put Mrs and kids on eBay later ;-)

Reply to triton t80z had for 2.5 years now no hot water, low pressure light comes on when turn on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock