Search the forum,

Discuss tricky soil pipe connection in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I need to connect a kitchen sink to a soil stack but the soil stack has an inspection hatch and what looks like a reducer into a clay pipe into the floor making it very difficult to fit a boss.

This should be pretty straightforward with a boss, but the level where the boss needs to fit is not a clean pipe area it has an inspection hatch and what looks like a reducer into a clay pipe. The pipe is at the back of the kitchen which I needed to pull out to take the photo which is attached. The copper pipe is a gas pipe to the kitchen cooker which complicates the area to work in.

There is a section of soil pipe that a boss will fit closer to the top of the worksurface but that doesn't help the fall of the pipe from the Belfast sink.

The current waste from a belfast sink is coupled with a washing machine and dishwasher outlet which has been directed into an outside trench drain channel outside which collects rainwater and clearly messy for any food debris coming out of the sink being flushed into a freshwater drain.

The house is a cottage extended with block/ brickwork but the property has previously had a long history of changes.

Any possible options?

diy_m

Attachments

• 20210617_171122.jpg
    20210617_171122.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 38
Remove the access section

Re do the clay connection to soil

tee with an boss on the side then install an access fitting in the tee

you might need a slip coupling for the above

I do hope that the dishwasher/washing machine do not discharge into a surface water drain, if so that’s a big no-no as it’s classed as foul water.

Remove the access section

Re do the clay connection to soil

tee with an boss on the side then install an access fitting in the tee

you might need a slip coupling for the above
Thats great feedback ShaunCorbs,

After doing some fitting reading I see what you mean, access pipe with a socket for the waste that would look good and yes I would need the slip coupling to put it all back together.

I am unsure what to use for the soil pipe connector type that would interface to the clay pipe size, it looks like a reducer on there at the moment ( slightly smaller clay pipe ), what would you recommend?

Many thanks!!

diy_m

I do hope that the dishwasher/washing machine do not discharge into a surface water drain, if so that’s a big no-no as it’s classed as foul water.
Hi Aquarius,

You are so right but unfortunately, it is, all discharge, sink, washing machine and dishwasher, go to clear water drain, pretty disgusting especially as the freshwater drain is leaking/leaching into the ground ( for another post tomorrow ) and saturating the outside wall and smelling badly.

I am here to right the wrongs after getting into a new house with a number of faults, hopefully all sorted out soon.

Kind Regards

diy_m

It could be they’ve just put the pipe in and cemented around eg in the collar you could do the same or you could grind the collar off and use this McAlpine DC1-BL Drain Connector Black 110mm - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-dc1-bl-drain-connector-black-110mm/4255v

It could be they’ve just put the pipe in and cemented around eg in the collar you could do the same or you could grind the collar off and use this McAlpine DC1-BL Drain Connector Black 110mm - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-dc1-bl-drain-connector-black-110mm/4255v
Sorry for the delay in replying

That looks like a good route so have bought the McAlpine fitting in preparation but will also have some cement and angle grinder on standby if I need to do the other.

Many thanks for your help!!

Best

diy_m

Last edited:

Reply to tricky soil pipe connection in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitting a new toilet onto this old cast soil pipe that only fits in about 2inches. It's coming through the wall at an angle and can't be changed because of an extension below. The new pan connector keeps dripping on a full flush any ideas on a solution other than silocone which the old one had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Not sure if it's a plumbers job or another trade but thought I'd ask. I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock