Search the forum,

Discuss Training, advice. What's something you wish you knew before? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, I have been training (working through course books mainly) for several months now and there's a hell of a lot to take in. I'm really enjoying learning about plumbing and thought a good way to get started in the community here would be to ask a good question, so

What's the best advice you've had or something you really wish you knew before you started plumbing?

Looking for general advice and info, Thanks all

BM

The only advice I can really give is study study study and never, ever become complacent. I started my apprenticeship at 19, I'm 36 now and there is still so much to learn. Although I did undertake and complete my plumbing and heating apprenticeship I was only ever an oil burner technician. I'm more than comfortable sat in front of oil burners but have spent lots of my spare time reading up on and watching videos of areas of heating that is vital to know, so I believe, to have a good understanding and as times change and technology developes the need to constantly learn will always be there.
Another thing I might add is lots of youngsters (I don't know your age, nor is it any of my business) are more concerned about living the weekends, getting drunk etc and not focusing on the main goal. In my spare time I would read books, or strip different burners down to familiarise myself further. People would call me boring, or a geek etc etc etc blah blah blah but ultimately I am far more knowledgeable than these people and the potential is high. Mechanical and electrical engineering is not for everyone, not everyone can wrap their heads around it and even those that do constantly have to keep learning.

The only advice I can really give is study study study and never, ever become complacent. I started my apprenticeship at 19, I'm 36 now and there is still so much to learn. Although I did undertake and complete my plumbing and heating apprenticeship I was only ever an oil burner technician. I'm more than comfortable sat in front of oil burners but have spent lots of my spare time reading up on and watching videos of areas of heating that is vital to know, so I believe, to have a good understanding and as times change and technology developes the need to constantly learn will always be there.
Another thing I might add is lots of youngsters (I don't know your age, nor is it any of my business) are more concerned about living the weekends, getting drunk etc and not focusing on the main goal. In my spare time I would read books, or strip different burners down to familiarise myself further. People would call me boring, or a geek etc etc etc blah blah blah but ultimately I am far more knowledgeable than these people and the potential is high. Mechanical and electrical engineering is not for everyone, not everyone can wrap their heads around it and even those that do constantly have to keep learning.
Thank you for the advice, I am a little late to the party newly retraining and my partying days are behind me thankfully. I love to tinker with bits which is what prompted this in the first place and will be kitting out my garage for messing about with materials and parts. This is really honest and good advice for me thank you

Copper pipe comes in 12mm & 18mm too.
You need ALL the model details for Vaillant parts.
Blowtorch burns happen fast and feel like running your hand under a tap🤷‍♂️.
Never test heating prv without a spare.
Don't work live without your toolbox in arms reach.
'mates rates' don't please anyone.
Charge by the hour not the result.
Pack something in your bleed key so it's not as deep as the screw 👍
(Oh and don't listen to a word a customer tells you!)

Copper pipe comes in 12mm & 18mm too.
You need ALL the model details for Vaillant parts.
Blowtorch burns happen fast and feel like running your hand under a tap🤷‍♂️.
Never test heating prv without a spare.
Don't work live without your toolbox in arms reach.
'mates rates' don't please anyone.
Charge by the hour not the result.
Pack something in your bleed key so it's not as deep as the screw 👍
(Oh and don't listen to a word a customer tells you!)
That's a lot of good advice, thank you

I will defiantly keep those in mind, especially keeping tools within reach, had that problem before :/

Loving that the "don't believe a word a customer tells you" keeps popping up as well

Wear knee-pads. Each time, every time, no exceptions.

As someone who has suffered from chronic rheumatoid arthritis since birth I can confirm this is vital advice. I'm 36 and my knees are already f$%&Ed.

Look after your back as well once its damaged that you finished , work clean and tidy , be polite and friendly it costs nothing but keep it professional hey 😉, the customer is not always right but just let him think he is . Kop

Every bit of advice here is unbelievably accurate! I like the caveat of letting customers think they're right-too true! and with the rad key I file mine down as well as stuff something, gets those old old rads bled.

My extra piece of advice would be NEVER RUSH.

Your tools are your best friend, try and get the best, try your best to look after them there are a lot of people after them. As said before, dont look at the job before looking at the customer, had a very close shave two years ago when it turned out the customer had a string of court appearances against her name, even a restraining order sought by her solictor against her. Job was at least three months work. I got as far as quoting it but the alarm bells were ringing, so some times it is better to say NO

Never trust a word a customer tells you.

And.

Just because a part is straight out the box doesn't mean it cant be fecked.
Side question on this.... Does everyone unbox in front of customers or pre job? I like to do it in front of a customer so they know its a genuine part and genuinely not my fault.... But it can create a wasted journey or me spending an hour to see if I can get it bloody working!

Reply to Training, advice. What's something you wish you knew before? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock