Search the forum,

Discuss Tradesmen on offer to public in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

A council in Scotland has announced that they are offering their staff (plumbers and Electricians ) to perform jobs for the general public.

At a cost I would think ??

£45 + materials ( expensive in Scotland) but you have an excellent guarantee

sounds like there short on work :D tbh some of the guys are great but others snails would overtake them

£45 + materials ( expensive in Scotland) but you have an excellent guarantee

Apologies for the newb question but how would the guarantee be better than one from an independant? As a matter of interest, what council is it, it's fine if you don't want to say? I can see more councils up here following suit if it works as they are all claiming to be cash strapped so if they can make money from it they will.

Apologies for the newb question but how would the guarantee be better than one from an independant? As a matter of interest, what council is it, it's fine if you don't want to say? I can see more councils up here following suit if it works as they are all claiming to be cash strapped so if they can make money from it they will.
The difference of guarantee of local authority vs independent is
If the independent ran into financial trouble, they might declare the firm bankrupt. Quite a number of independent small companies may have very few assets and some will have the assets in say their spouses name.
the council own houses and would find it much more difficult to go bust.
If the company goes bust during a contract, then the money paid is usually lost.
The council is South Ayrshire and its a trial at this time.

City building LLP is glasgow city council. They have several other branches under various names taking jobs of local trades for years. They have 4 or 5 business arms already.

City building LLP is glasgow city council. They have several other branches under various names taking jobs of local trades for years. They have 4 or 5 business arms already.
Sorry finger trouble pressed on llke but got something else couldn’t delete it

Glasgow wants me to pay my taxes to fund their massive company and subsidiaries and with that money take food off the table too. They are acting like a large corporate company, not the civil servants they should be.
[automerge]1578697848[/automerge]
Most of the guarantees that customers have are with the boiler manufacturers, shower manufacturers etc. I cover the workmanship and I don't leave leaks so they are solid for the 12 month workmanship warranty I give and for many years after.

A lot of housing associates whi use direct labour do this also in effect the council is just a company that needs to run its government funding gets cut so if it can make money to cover the cuts then there is no reason why they shouldn't

The repair guys working for the local Council round me have been doing cash lobs for there own customers as long as I can remember. Customers I have spoken to seem to be reassured by the fact it is a "Council Guy" doing the work. TBH their plumbing I have seen is mostly gash and some pretty poor electrics as well.
Isn't the news story above just the Council wanting a piece of the pie from this long standing practise?

Reply to Tradesmen on offer to public in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock