Search the forum,

Discuss Tracpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I have an install coming up where I need to run a new gas carcass about 15metres. I need it to run along the floor at ground level and then it will need to go up the corner of a wall to the 1st floor of the building. It will be boxed in and so am wondering how tight are the bends you can pull with this stuff? As I need it to be as tight as possible to minimise the size of boxing required?

i see they do not sell elbows for this piping, so it must be pretty tight am thinking. I have been wanting to try this stuff for a while now and I can see my opportunity

so pretty good then?? Just saw the price of the tracpipe to copper fittings....OUCH!!!!

Good thing with tracpipe is you can run it underground then practically to where you want it, Especially if it's being boxed in.

Just make sure the boxing is properly ventilated!

the duct will only be 150mmx50mm. A skirting board really so it does not require venting. Or is it best practice to vent any way? Also, in a horizontal duct, where would you put the vents if they were required?

the duct will only be 150mmx50mm. A skirting board really so it does not require venting. Or is it best practice to vent any way? Also, in a horizontal duct, where would you put the vents if they were required?

Christ knows! lol

I may have had my commercial head on then but I think it would be good practice to vent all ductwork containing a gas pipe.

Never used Trac pipe. I'd be interested to hear how you got on with it.

from your description, Id just use copper if its along a floor and up a wall, cheaper!

Yea I guess copper would be best. Just wanted to have a go on the old tracpipe. I did see 15metres of 28mm on net for £72. Thought that was good price. But fittings are like £27 a pop. Canny believe it

I've used it a few times but not in a house, would do it in copper as the trac pipe is too expensive.

Tracpipe Is good but don't get water in it, it's very hard to clear on long lengths.

The elbows you use are compression 90*, its just the adapters which replace the nut and ring.
Used tracpipe once on LPG install on a barn, just make sure you get a clean cut and follow MI :)
Its exactly like using uponor pipe

Hi - I am Technical Manger at OmegaFlex, manufacturer of TracPipe. Depending on what size you will need the 90 degree bends can be pulled quite tight. For example, a DN22 pipe can have a minimum bend radius of 25mm whereas a DN28mm pipe has a minimum bend radius of 76mm. I can also confirm that TracPipe can be used both internally and externally as well as being buried directly in the ground or screed without additional corrosion protection. As has been highlighted flux is an issue with any stainless steel product so ensure all soldering is completed and flux residue removed before connecting to the TracPipe. I also note that someone has likened TracPipe to using an 'Anaconda' (meter inlet connector). This is also true but the key difference is that meter inlet connectors have to be annealed during the manufacturing process which makes them quite soft and susceptible to damage. TracPipe is not annealed and is therefore very strong and in fact stronger than copper. Cost is always a subject that comes up when using TracPipe compared to copper - but it is worth remembering that TracPipe can be up to 3 times quicker to install and typically you will only need two fittings. Therefore overall the installation can be cheaper but more importantly, safer! Happy to discuss this further with anyone interested so please give me a call of 07795 181472 or visit www.tracpipe.co.uk Regards Jamie

Hi - I am Technical Manger at OmegaFlex, manufacturer of TracPipe. Depending on what size you will need the 90 degree bends can be pulled quite tight. For example, a DN22 pipe can have a minimum bend radius of 25mm whereas a DN28mm pipe has a minimum bend radius of 76mm. I can also confirm that TracPipe can be used both internally and externally as well as being buried directly in the ground or screed without additional corrosion protection. As has been highlighted flux is an issue with any stainless steel product so ensure all soldering is completed and flux residue removed before connecting to the TracPipe. I also note that someone has likened TracPipe to using an 'Anaconda' (meter inlet connector). This is also true but the key difference is that meter inlet connectors have to be annealed during the manufacturing process which makes them quite soft and susceptible to damage. TracPipe is not annealed and is therefore very strong and in fact stronger than copper. Cost is always a subject that comes up when using TracPipe compared to copper - but it is worth remembering that TracPipe can be up to 3 times quicker to install and typically you will only need two fittings. Therefore overall the installation can be cheaper but more importantly, safer! Happy to discuss this further with anyone interested so please give me a call of 07795 181472 or visit www.tracpipe.co.uk Regards Jamie

Hello and welcome to the forum. Thank you for the information in you last thread. Regretfully I am going to take the advice of the guys more experienced than me and install copper tube for this perticular job. Due to the price. I know you say it is 3 times faster but I still don't believe this will save me much if anything. Also, I am confident with copper tube and as I have not used Tracpipe before Just getting to grips with it will take up a bit of time.

Regards

Lee

I used term anaconda as referring how easy is to bend the track pipe !
MI used it on a contact but only one down side - Track pipe can not be cliped with talon clips !!!
what can you sugest for clipping it ?

Talon clips can be used but you need to prise the jaws open to 'relax' the tightness of the opening and then screw to the wall. TracPipe can then be carefully inserted without damaging the outer cover. However we have worked with Talon on this and they have retooled their machines for their 22mm yellow clips so they have a rounded opening on the jaws. Therefore if installing DN22 TracPipe the yellow Talon clip with the rounded jaws will be fine. We were advised that over time their other tooling will be modified to accommodate this but over what time period I do not know. However where these are not available other suitable clips include standard munson rings or the Walraven StarQuick clips. For bigger jobs with multiple runs, TracPipe can be laid in cable trays and cable tied to secure them in place. Hope this helps.

That ain't good enough as most common use size trackpipe its not 22mm , but 28mm out side diameter ......... Honestly in order for you to sell more you must do your own clips , otherwise we will be keep walking away from it and the only people who you en up selling it is the firms that do new build

That ain't good enough as most common use size trackpipe its not 22mm , but 28mm out side diameter ......... Honestly in order for you to sell more you must do your own clips , otherwise we will be keep walking away from it and the only people who you en up selling it is the firms that do new build

ouch!!!

The issue I find with track pipe, is the naked bit of pipe after stripping back the yellow coating. Then there's the issue if you're snaking it in a hole under the floor... where it catches the outer rips..then what? No way to cover or be sure that it hasn't ripped..

ive used a 35mm munsen ring clip for 28mm trac pipe. 35mm ring and a male back plate hold it off the wall alittle more than a plastic clip, but not by that much.

you can also get 32-35mm talon mdpe plastic clips that may work well.

Last edited:
When I used tracpipe it was supplied on the job I was on, but they had clips that were similar to talon clips but they had an extra bit of plastic inside like another half circle of thin flexible plastic to grip it. Its quite hard to explain without a picture lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tracpipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and then through the kitchen to the drains. A while back I started to hear a drip hitting the kitchen ceiling (now with some ceiling evidence too) from...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, first post here. While I prefer copper-and-solder, I've used compression fittings successfully in the past, and I opted for compression throughout the present job because I'm tight for space. I got most of the fittings from the local Toolstation. They're standard 15mm equal tees...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by the previous owner, they decided to run pipes all along the edge of the garage floor... I do however have one that goes vertically out of the concrete...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock