Search the forum,

Discuss Towel warmer staying cold after working initially in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey everyone!

I have a towel warmer that used to work fine for a few months then all of the sudden stopped. As far as I can tell nothing has changed as in nobody fiddled with the balance of the radiators, the pressure in the combi boiler has been fine, etc.

So far I have tried:

• bleeding the towel warmer - water coming out straight away, no trapped air by the looks of it
  • bleeding out a few cups of water and topping up to the right pressure
  • turning off all the radiators except for the towel warmer and turning the heating on
  • checked the thermostat valve and the little metal knob inside moves fine when pressed down
  • the pressure in the system seems to be dropping after bleeding the towel warmer
  • the pipe leading to the thermostat valve does not feel warm at all
  • all the other radiators seem to be working absolutely fine

Is there anything else I could try? I am completely baffled as to why it stopped working all of the sudden and none of the above helped :(

20210128_175121.jpg

20210128_175125.jpg

20210128_175136.jpg

Undo the trv head eg the bit you adjust there should be a pin does this move in and out when you push it in

The right hand one is lock shield remove nut on front and underneath is is a brass valve with Allen key slot make sure it is out

As Gasmk1 said but count your anticlockwise turns, and put it back to same position all but 1/4 turn.
Or you could try just hitting it with a spanner a few times (not joking)

I tried unscrewing it so it's almost level with the top edge of the valve, but it didn't seem to make any difference :(

Also tried the spanner hitting option, no luck either.

20210129_111151.jpg

If lock shield is open then it’s most likely to be a stuck pin on the trv- remove the head and waggle the pin in and out a few times.

Ok if you tried all of that I think it’s time to take the rad off and flush/inspect it outside with a hosepipe.

Open valves and see if water flows out nicely.

Connect valves together and see if you get flow .

Then report back

Did that as well, the pin seems to be moving freely
If you mean you can easily push / pull the pin in and out then that suggests that the valve has seized shut. The valve should normally be held open by a spring and considerable force should be needed to push the pin in.

TRVs often seize in this manner if they are left closed for longish periods, e.g. during the summer months. A smart tap on the pin with a small hammer may well free it but TBH, once they've seized once they seem to do so again and eventually need replacing.

Agree with Chuck
Tap with tack-hammer (or spanner) untill it springs back up. Would have said before but I've already used the hit it advice and didn't want you thinking thats all I could do😄.
I'd go as far as advising not to ever pull on the pin!
There's lots of ways to check flow and flush pipes and Ben-gee's advice is good.

Reply to Towel warmer staying cold after working initially in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My towel rail is not electric but separate to central heating and has been working consistently but since the 2 port valve was replaced on Monday because the radiators were not working it has stopped working, if I go into the loft and press the flame button on and off it seems to come back to...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
I have a caravan with a brand new heating system.The Valliant combi boiler is working fine but one radiator and one towel rail are stone cold.I have bled both and also tried to balance the radiators with no success.Even when I shut off all other radiators the problematic ones still don't heat...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock