Search the forum,

Discuss Towel Rail Valve Fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out the best approach to fitting valves to my new towel rail, but i just don’t have the experience to know the best approach and would appreciate input from you guys. If i get this wrong, it’s going to be a major PITA to correct retrospectively! :-/

The difficulty comes with the fact that it is a fairly small en-suite and the rail has to sit snuggly between a toilet and units that have an opening door that has potential to foul on the opposite side of the rail and / or valve. This is how it was originally done, but it is just a bit naff and I would like to try and avoid it.

The pipe is 10 mm JG and comes out of the block wall. Previously the wall has been chased quite deeply for original pipework and so i want to avoid further channelling as much as possible. Floor is up and plasterboard off the wall currently. I would prefer the (manual) valves tucked under the rail, rather than sticking out of the front / side due to limitations on space.

Having considered both corner and angled valves, they come with the issue that they would require only 30mm of pipe to extend from the wall (assuming JG reducer) and that would only leave around 10 mm gap to the wall (Pic 4 mock-up). I wonder about the difficulty of getting the reducer inserted onto such a small bit of pipe, as well as future removal!? I guess this issue would be made worse if the pipe is not locked in place. The other thing is the sheer size of the reducer that sticks out of the valve. It looks really naff - see first pic. Pegler do the Terrier Reducer (Pic 2) that is much smaller, but they are less-easy to get hold of, but perhaps that is the best solution with a corner valve!?

Don’t like idea of compression olives on plastic pipe, as any damage to the pipe would be a major pain. So, ruling out all associated options e.g 10mm valves, 10mm compression adaptors. The rail is a fair way up the wall and so not keen on the idea of pipework coming up through the floor, hence another option ruled-out.

One thing i am considering is using a straight valve (not a trv as pictured), along with a Drayton push-fit reducing 90-deg elbow. (Pic 3). This looks a bit tidier to my eyes, more pipe is accessible and all bits are available locally. The only downside seems to be that the fittings extend further down from the rail, although there are mimalist valves that would offset the issue somewhat. Not seen anyone else do this though and so it’s got me wondering why not and if i’m well-off at a tangent!?

Sheesh, that was a ramble! What would be your advice? TIA i

Attachments

• 25674856-1349-436E-8A77-EF02D04F7D92.jpeg
    25674856-1349-436E-8A77-EF02D04F7D92.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 7AF25D72-B150-494C-9AA4-B4E3ED76C3BF.jpeg
    7AF25D72-B150-494C-9AA4-B4E3ED76C3BF.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B0ADFF8C-0B7F-4F7C-8ABA-F7453D1DFDDD.jpeg
    B0ADFF8C-0B7F-4F7C-8ABA-F7453D1DFDDD.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 5
  • AFC45EE6-4733-4CF3-B651-580EB450B690.jpeg
    AFC45EE6-4733-4CF3-B651-580EB450B690.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 5
Do you have access in the wall ?

Use a 10-15mm speedfit elbow and come through in 15mm straight into the valve

Use a 10-15mm speedfit elbow and come through in 15mm straight into the valve
Do you mean to bury the connector in the wall? We originally discussed something similar when I posed questions about speedfit cold forms (10mm 90-deg to get pipe horizontal out of wall) and whether they were a good idea or not. Kind of gives an idea of how long i’ve been pondering this!

Just to help with my understanding, why would this be a better option than some of the ones I put forward? Were those options flawed for some reason i haven’t considered? Not that i am questioning your advice for one moment! Thanks

It’s about the same yes there’s a joint you can’t access but it’s one of them there has to be one somewhere so either exposed to in the wall upto you tbh as you don’t want the 3 part reducers

It’s about the same yes there’s a joint you can’t access but it’s one of them there has to be one somewhere so either exposed to in the wall upto you tbh as you don’t want the 3 part reducers
When i previously looked at those reducers, the reviews were a bit mixed on how successfully they worked. That put me off a bit, even though i have some, along with the risk of damaging that buried pipe. Having said that, with a 15/10 reducer that might be offset the problem somewhat, if it was possible to retrospectively replace the 15mm pipe. Not sure about that and would have to have a think about how best to secure the fitting.
So just to labour the point, there is nothing inherently wrong with any of the options I put forward, but it is not how you would do it!? Thanks

The snap ones arnt good you want the 3 part ones

Either 3 part or 15-10mm elbow in the wall

As your using plastic non just use a compression suitable insert

Reply to Towel Rail Valve Fitting in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock