Search the forum,

Discuss Towel Radiator smelling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi can anyone help. Last year a new towel radiator was fitted in our bathroom. It was fine until a few months ago when i noticed a smell. It smells like metal or pickles. The heating wasnt on over the summer so was only a slight smell but now with the colder weather, whenever we put the heatting on the smell gets worse. We have oil heating. But definetly smells of metal type or pickles.
Any help would be more than appreciated.

Probably being an oil system is irrelevant, as the radiators still only contain water and inhibitor.
I suspect you have a leak around the towel rail somewhere. The radiator valve threaded joint into the towel rail can be a high risk of leaking.
Do also check for dead mice though and have your oil boiler and it’s combustion and oil line checked.

Thank you very much. There doesnt seem to be any sign of leaking water. What would the indicators be? Could it be fixed by ourselves or should we get a professional in?

Can be difficult to find a slight weep.
Best to check for a leak when system is cold and therefore not evaporating any dampness.
Check around all the connections at valves and at any air vent and plug at top of towel rail.
Problem is, if there is a joint below the floor/in wall that has been disturbed.
I have come across some rads leaking that pong like a sick smell, if you know what I mean.
Dead mice would make a terrible smell all the time, but worse while heating on.

But definetly smells of metal type or pickles.

Is the radiator plastic coated? Does the coating look discoloured or feel slightly sticky to the touch?

Your description is consistent with the smell of acetic acid. Some plastics evolve this when they deteriorate or are not stabilised properly during manufacture. It's possible that if the radiator is plastic coated with a bad batch of coating that's what you're smelling. I'm not sure how likely this is, I've never come across a radiator with this problem myself, but it is a theoretical possibility.

Flue gas can smell slightly metallic/acid but you said the smell was present when the boiler was off. If you suspect this is the cause you need to stop using the boiler until a qualified installer has checked the installation.

Reply to Towel Radiator smelling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock