Search the forum,

Discuss Towel Radiator leak - complete plumbing dummy! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170802_110539.jpg 20170802_110535.jpg Hi all

I have a heated towel rack in my kitchen. I noticed recently that all the paint is peeling off the top and cracking down the length of the radiator. The white surface is stained with dark radiator water and the whole thing looks god awful.

I want to repaint it, but am assuming that the paint peeling/cracking is because of a (tiny, dribbly, barely-noticeable) leak, and I'm not painting anything until the leak is fixed. The leak is coming from the very top of the radiator. Photos attached.

I fully admit that I have no plumbing knowledge whatsoever. I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm willing to have a go at fixing whatever the issue. I'm also willing to hire a plumber to fix it for me, but if it's a small job I'd rather save the £££ and do it myself.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

20170802_105220.jpg

20170802_105224.jpg

20170802_105241.jpg

Hi there. Provided the valves that turn off the towel rail work ok (they are usually fine but no promises until you try them!) this is quite an easy fix. You'll need a 1/2" vent and plug from any plumber's merchant CenterRad plug & vent kit | Plumb Center.

You will also need a vent key Regin REGQ615 radiator bleed keys (Pair) | Plumb Center and an adjustable spanner plus a sponge or cloth to soak up the small amount of water that might escape but there should be very little.

Close the valves off both sides of the rad (flow and return) and use the vent key to open the vent on the top right. You may get a small amount of water from here but it'll literally be an egg cup full (or even none at all) as long as the valves into the rad are closed properly.

If the water stops coming out of the vent you can then use the adjustable spanner to remove the vent and plug. They turn anti-clockwise to remove. Clean any muck off the top of the rad and the thread inside with a bit of rag or something. The new vent and plug will have a rubber seal so just put them in hand tight and then nip it up a quarter of a turn with the spanner.

Make sure your new vent is closed with the vent key and open the valves on the flow/return pipes again. Check for leaks at top. If the rail is full of air then you'll need to bleed it through the vent until all the air is expelled and top up the pressure on the boiler to around 1.5 bar. If it's a gravity fed system it will fill up by itself as you bleed air.

Any more questions just ask.

If funds are available get it replaced , if not purchace a new airvent and plug isolate the valves undo the air vent and capture the water with a towel it should slow and stop within seconds you can then remove the leaking vent and plug clean off any rust or old paint and replace with the new ones you can then turn the valves back on vent again thats it apart from preping the towel rail and repainting it . Kop

Last edited:
Definitely replacing in my opinion. Nowadays the towel rads aren't that expensive anymore. However, please make sure you will buy the right size and width otherwise you will slightly struggle with valves. Most likely you'll need to replace the, anyway if you cannot find the right size of radiator. If you cannot find the rad you will need to drain the system down to replace the valves and alter the pipework slightly. If you don't feel comfortable enough to do it on your own better of seeking a professional

With a towel rail being in a bathroom I've had it before that the condensation from showering/bathing had got behind the paint and caused it to blister. So not necessary a leak but I personally would just change it.

The towel rad is most probably powder coated.
( spray on paint then oven baked )
Not something you can touch up.

It would be cheaper to find a replacement towel rail than have the existing one sand blasted and re -powder coated.

But if you can't find a matching towel rail, it may be cheaper to have the current one re-done than pay someone to do the piping alterations and fitting of the new towels rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Towel Radiator leak - complete plumbing dummy! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted a towel radiator today, I ptfe taped the radiator tails, and after installation noticed the tails were leaking a tiny amount. So de-fitted, and smeared loctite 577 on the radiator tail threads. Reassembled, refitted and now wondering how long I have to wait until pressurising the system...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking from the en-suite down into the reception room and the fitter promptly came and repaired it, it was something to do with the area under the sink. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
Need a heating engineer in Central London I currently have an old worcester boiler. Since its original installation I've had many upgrades to my flat which now has 3 bathrooms and 7 zone underfloor heating plus 3 towel rail radiators. The greenstar I currently have is no longer sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock