Search the forum,

Discuss Tool for removing cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

You will need to be careful here.
The cartridge is screwed into a carrier which is, in turn, screwed into the body. The carrier needs holding VERY TIGHT and a ring spanner or socket used to remove the cartridge.
Where are you in the UK?

I’m in South Wales. So - ring spanner and opposing force with a ring spanner on the cartridge?

Look at the body. It only has two flats on it so won't take a socket or ring spanner. DO NOT try to use a spanner. It WILL fail.

You will need a minimum of a 12" water pump pliers held bl00dy tight on the carrier & then use a deep socket to extract the cartridge itself.

Any Approved TapMedic Installer in South Wales?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just checked and we have an Approved Installer in Cardiff who'll be able to sort it in one visit for you. Liam Kavanagh on 07955049562

The alternative is to remove it and ACCURATELY measure it all, i.e. spline diameter, spline length, spline number, seat depth, shoulder to spline top, and then find a replacement somewhere.

Look at the body. It only has two flats on it so won't take a socket or ring spanner. DO NOT try to use a spanner. It WILL fail.

You will need a minimum of a 12" water pump pliers held bl00dy tight on the carrier & then use a deep socket to extract the cartridge itself.

Any Approved TapMedic Installer in South Wales?

Hi again, thanks for the gen, I'm a long way from Cardiff and trying to save a few quid by doing this myself. Will a pair of molegrips do instead of water pump pliers?

Cheers!

Rob

I advised a fix on a tap for a colleague recently where he explained what I think is the same problem. I suggested that the shroud around the cartridge unscrewed to gain access. He insisted it was welded or one piece and the shrouds could not be removed. He showed me a picture and I was still sure the shrouds would unscrew. Armed with new confidence he had a go and they did screw off. Then he could remove the cartridge with an adjustable spanner.

Just saying in case this one is the same style.

You LEGEND! Thanks for that just unscrewed the housing on mine to reveal the cartridge.

Reply to Tool for removing cartridge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock